Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DocToxyn Returns .Long time, No See

1. Dec 5, 2006 #1

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

DocToxyn Returns.....Long time, No See..

Hey All,
    I have to apologize for being away for so long, but I do have an explanation. Several months back I think I mentioned to some that my position would be changing at my university. I was going to start a Research Assistant Professor position, but alas some funding fell through and they weren't able to offer me what I needed so that precipitated a mad dash to try to find employment locally. You see I had already bought a house and settled in here with the intention of staying a while. So things were crazy for some time as I desperately sought out some place that would give me a job. It was a difficult time and a lot of things fell to the wayside and PF was one of them - sorry. I did eventually find a job in my city and still in Toxicology so I'm happy now. It's in the private sector in a small company and things are very busy there so there is rarely any time to spare online during the day and my nights are taken up with family and other responsibilities. I don't have much time to spend here on a regular basis, but I'll try to check in more regularly and do what I can. Thanks for taking the time to read this....BTW...what did I miss?

DocToxyn

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2006 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Glad to hear that things worked out. Welcome back!!!

4. Dec 5, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You must have heard us talking about you in the mentor's forum! We were wondering where you had gone. That's such a scary thing for long-term plans to suddenly turn to mush and needing to scramble for a job quickly (I went through that last year, but fortunately wasn't tied down in the city I was in, and in the end am glad it happened because I'm so much happier where I am now). I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end. :smile: I was thinking of you when I was in Atlanta for the SFN meeting too, but I guess those days are gone now that you've gone "corporate" and have settled into toxicology for good.

Welcome BACK!!! Sadly, you're going to have to turn over your guru award after such a long absence. :frown:

5. Dec 6, 2006 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

But you may get a nice "member formerly known as guru" symbol. :biggrin:

You chose life and family over US? :grumpy:

We were concerned about you and were just lamenting your loss as moonbear mentioned. So glad to hear that you managed to find another position where you live.

A friend of mine has a PHD in microbiology and his dilema is a bit different, he's been offered a position to teach and do research (which he really wants) and his company (he's in the private sector currently) wants him to sign another 2 year contract and is dangling carrots in front of him, making it difficult to say no. The teaching/research requires a move to another country, but he's not living in his native country now. So, right now he owns homes in two countries, with a possible move to a third. Feel better now?

WE MISSED YOU!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

6. Dec 6, 2006 #5
    Nice to see you back Doc. You have been missed. Sorry to hear that you have been in some distress, one of lifes little traffic jams. Good to hear you were able to find work in your area.

7. Dec 6, 2006 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome back, Doc. Glad to hear that things worked out.

8. Dec 6, 2006 #7

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Thanks for all the sentiments guys.

Well, even though it's private industry we still publish and go to meetings. The company is primarily focused on genotoxicology so Society of Toxicology is still on the list as well as the Environmental Mutagen Society meetings. Neuroscience is a bit of a stretch, not a lot of genotox going on in there, but maybe I can change that someday. Honestly it's a lot like academia, writing grants and papers, researching new approaches/techniques, we just have a focus on creating or improving a product/service that can be sold. I really enjoy the work and the people here and hopefully I can make a good impression here and stick around for a while. If you ever need any genotox work done, i.e. Ames test, MLA, micronucleus formation... you know who to call.

No hard feelings...it was fun while it lasted.

:redface: Sorry, but I knew you guys would still be here.:biggrin:

9. Dec 7, 2006 #8

Danger

Gold Member

***** of a thing, ain't it? Life won't wait for you, but your friends will. :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?