Document extends secrecy on Area 51 in southern Nevada

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, President George W. Bush has renewed an exemption allowing the Air Force to keep mum about its top-secret operations at Groom Lake, also known as Area 51, in southern Nevada. The exemption is intended to prevent lawsuits from those who were mysteriously poisoned while working at the site. The real secrets of Area 51 are intact, according to the expert.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) - Invoking national security, President Bush has renewed an exemption allowing the Air Force to keep mum about its top-secret operations at Groom Lake, also known as Area 51, in southern Nevada.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nevada/2003/sep/18/091810215.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My first question is "Did they
actually tell Bush details of what
is going on there and let him
decide, or did they just say to
him that it was in the interest of
National Security, sign it and
don't ask, cause you don't want to
know"?

What do presidents get told?

You know, it does appear rather stupid to announce making something secret in a way that it can appear in all sorts of newpapers...

I still think of area 51 as wholly a diversion these days... It would be stupid of them to do anything secret there, as it is the most non-secret secret site in the entire world.

Originally posted by FZ+
You know, it does appear rather stupid to announce making something secret in a way that it can appear in all sorts of newpapers...
In general, yes, but in this case
what Bush did was give the milita-
ry permission to keep secrets by
way of preventing lawsuits by
these people who were mysteriously
poisoned while working there.

I still think of area 51 as wholly a diversion these days... It would be stupid of them to do anything secret there, as it is the most non-secret secret site in the entire world.
Publically annoucing that what
goes on there is top secret
actually turns out to work better
than what they did about six
months ago, which was to announce
it had been closed down. It became
clear so fast they hadn't closed
down that they just looked like
the Emperor in his new clothes.

The real secrets of area 51 are
intact. Everything you hear is
pure speculation. Somehow, it is
working out.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
The real secrets of area 51 are
intact. Everything you hear is
pure speculation. Somehow, it is
working out.

Oh really? And just how do you happen to know this? Have you been holding out on me oh Shoe Of The Zooby? What are the secrets of Zoobyshoe and Area 51?

How do you like the logic: We're so secret that we can poison our employees and ignore the liability? I can understand secrets, but they should have taken extraordinarily good care of their employees...assuming that the accounts were true. How did that law suit [filed many years ago] work out? I never heard.

PS. Thanks for the vote. If elected I promise to be stubborn and obnoxious.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Oh really? And just how do you happen to know this? Have you been holding out on me oh Shoe Of The Zooby? What are the secrets of Zoobyshoe and Area 51?
I could tell you but then...

How do you like the logic: We're so secret that we can poison our employees and ignore the liability? I can understand secrets, but they should have taken extraordinarily good care of their employees...assuming that the accounts were true. How did that law suit [filed many years ago] work out? I never heard.
The main case is in limbo, as far as I know. The man died and his wife and lawyers are the people this secrecy permission is directed against, as far as I can
tell.

PS. Thanks for the vote. If elected I promise to be stubborn and obnoxious.
I was hoping for tyrranical and obsessed, but stubborn and obnoxious will do.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
I could tell you but then...

On several ocassions you have expressed some very definite opinions about this issues haven't you oh Shoe of the Zooby?

OK. Really you're Bob Lazar - the janitor at Area 51 [not the other Bob Lazar], right?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you about this. I put the masking tape on my window in the usual X configuraton, but the guy took forever getting back to me. He said to say that I know the secrets of area 51 are intact because I don't know what they are.

Bob Lazar? I guess you're on to my code name. (You know what Bob spelled backwards is, don't you?)

1. What is the purpose of the document that extends secrecy on Area 51?

The document serves to maintain the confidentiality and security of Area 51, a highly classified United States Air Force facility located in southern Nevada.

2. How long has secrecy been in place for Area 51?

The document extending secrecy on Area 51 has been in place since its establishment in the 1950s.

3. What types of activities take place at Area 51?

The specific activities at Area 51 are classified, but it is believed that the facility is used for the development and testing of experimental aircraft and weapons systems.

4. Who has access to Area 51?

Only authorized personnel with security clearance have access to Area 51. This includes military personnel, government officials, and contractors.

5. Why is secrecy important for Area 51?

Secrecy is important for Area 51 in order to protect national security and prevent sensitive information from falling into the wrong hands. It also allows for the development and testing of new technologies without interference or public scrutiny.