1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dodecahedral metal coordination?

1. Oct 20, 2005 #1
    Is it true that there should be two distances from a dodecahedrally coordinated cation to the two types of coordinating atoms?
    When I calculate what the octahedron should look like assuming that all anion-anion distances are equal I will get two different cation-anion distances:
    if all anion-anion distances equal 2R, the cation-anion distances will be 3.5R for four of the anions and only 1.8R (!) for the other four anions.

Does this make sense?
    Or am I wrong in assuming that all the anion-anion distances should be equal?

What holds for capped trigonal prisms? There probably there will be a larger cation-anion distance for the capping anions, right? (Otherwise the anions would come too close! Or?)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2005 #2
    OK, I just calculated for a triply capped trigonal prism that there is just one radius ratio: 0.73

For a dodecahedron I calculate 0.83 as the minimum radius ratio (for cation-anion interactions) but this leaves four out of eight coordinating atoms at almost twice the distance (as described above)...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?