DoE CCI Summer 2021 Internships

In summary: Don't worry, there is still time. It's typically the last week of May before they send out letters with the deadlines. It's also possible that they are just really busy this year and won't be able to get to everyone. Keep applying and be persistent.
BiologyQueen
Hey everyone!

This is a forum for anyone who applied to the DoE CCI Summer 2021 Internships. Has anyone gotten a reply back from their labs? I am waiting on LLNL and SNL. I applied for Biotechnology, Engineering technology-Bio, and Energy Technology Bio.

-Feel free if you have heard back about SULI Summer 2021 Internships too

Physics news on Phys.org
I mentor several students applying for these. None have heard back yet. This time last year, they had some responses - but not yet this year.

I applied to CCI (SULI for community college students basically) and haven't heard back or heard of anyone hearing back yet. I wonder if things are delayed because of COVID?

username1989 said:
I applied to CCI (SULI for community college students basically) and haven't heard back or heard of anyone hearing back yet. I wonder if things are delayed because of COVID?
Probably. I'm assuming they are a month behind. I feel like they are also comparing applicants with their mentors against their in-house internships as well.

BiologyQueen said:
Probably. I'm assuming they are a month behind. I feel like they are also comparing applicants with their mentors against their in-house internships as well.
Do they usually wait to reject people at the very end? Seems strange I've heard nothing when a lot of others have

I would not read much into the lack of a reply. Some of the labs are waiting for paperwork to go through. In other cases, you may not have been a lab's top choice, but may be next in line if another student rejects their offer. Patience.

At the same time, I recommend that students who have not yet received an offer remain actively searching and applying for summer research opportunities.

I had only one mentor reach out to me from CCI (Brookhaven) back in March 10th but they went with a different intern (got back to me the following Friday). I applied through the BLUR program as well at Lawrence Berkeley and was reached out by 2 mentors. One from the Joint Genome Institute and another doing infrastructure work with the Scientific Data Management Research Group. Interviewed for both and was already given an offer the same day from the infrastructure work one. Accepted the infrastructure one and I am now in the process of getting my official acceptance/offer from WD&E.

Update on me: Still haven't heard anything back; My application is still on "complete and pending review". I had applied with a 4.0, in my second year of community college, with a lead role in my school's student government, various part-time job experiences, a positive attitude, and eagerness to learn. Unfortunately, research/lab experience is hard to come by at my community college, and I was relying on the best of the show in my city for my science project a senior year of high school(about 2 years ago) and lab experience from classes. There's always next year.

Looks like my application got sent to my second choice after Brookhavent didnt want me. I was able to get an offer from Fermilab today! No interviews, was selected and given an email. So don't lose hope if you haven't been contacted!

Now I got to decide where to intern this summer, Berkeley Lab or Fermilab

Last edited:
I find it strange to have no update at this point? Is this normal for the application?

username1989 said:
I find it strange to have no update at this point? Is this normal for the application?
Last year my friend didn't get any responses from prospective mentors. I think it was mainly cause he applied as a mechanical engineer major and he selected a lab that did no mechanical engineering projects.

1. What is the purpose of the DoE CCI Summer 2021 Internships?

The DoE CCI Summer 2021 Internships aim to provide undergraduate and graduate students with hands-on research experience in the fields of climate change and energy efficiency. The program also aims to support the Department of Energy's mission to advance energy and environmental security.

2. Who is eligible to apply for the DoE CCI Summer 2021 Internships?

Undergraduate and graduate students who are currently enrolled in an accredited college or university are eligible to apply for the DoE CCI Summer 2021 Internships. Applicants must also be U.S. citizens or permanent residents and have a minimum GPA of 3.0.

3. What types of projects are available for interns in the DoE CCI Summer 2021 Internships?

The DoE CCI Summer 2021 Internships offer a variety of projects in the areas of climate change and energy efficiency, including research on renewable energy technologies, energy policy analysis, and climate modeling. Interns will work closely with mentors and contribute to ongoing research projects at Department of Energy facilities.

4. How long is the DoE CCI Summer 2021 Internship?

The DoE CCI Summer 2021 Internship is a 10-week program, typically running from early June to mid-August. Interns are expected to work full-time during this period and may have the opportunity to continue their research projects beyond the summer.

5. Is the DoE CCI Summer 2021 Internship a paid position?

Yes, the DoE CCI Summer 2021 Internship is a paid position. Interns will receive a stipend based on their level of education and experience. In addition, travel expenses to and from the internship site may be covered for eligible interns.