1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DOE SULI 2012 summer internship

1. Feb 22, 2012 #1
    I applied to the NREL and Idaho national lab for renewable energy technologies and mechanical engineering. Just wondering if anyone has heard any news from these two or any others?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2012 #2
    I just got an offer from Oak Ridge today. I know someone else on this forum said they got an offer from Argonne around the first week of February. I think it's a bit weird with these offers, since the way it seems like it works is that researchers search through the apps to find students. This may or may not happen any time soon, so offers could be any time. I got an offer from NASA last week as well, and this is almost a month before their official application deadline. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

4. Feb 23, 2012 #3
    Yes, that would be me. :biggrin:

From what I've heard from people who were accepted previous years, the offer dates really fall within a rather large range depending on the lab, so I'd say there's definitely still time for many an offer to go out.

5. Feb 23, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the info... The SULI website was a little vague; something to the affect of "applicants would hear something after Feb 1st." After two weeks my excitement turned to disappointment and after three weeks I was already to apathy and scrambling to find something else to do this summer; but now its back to excitement/anxiety :) fingers crossed

6. Feb 23, 2012 #5
    Congratulations!

Around the first week of February? Is he sure its an offer. Because what happens with SULI is that when you get an email from someone asking if you are interested, it is not an offer but simply to see if you would be interested in the particular research (they send it to a few). The offer is only sent with an official mail (and will be on your status page).

7. Feb 23, 2012 #6
    No, I definitely received an offer. I've already chosen the project I will be working on and signed the necessary paperwork. It's official, no doubt about that.

8. Feb 23, 2012 #7
    It wasn't directed to you. Hint I said is he sure.

9. Feb 24, 2012 #8
    Heard back from SLAC earlier this week.

10. Feb 24, 2012 #9
    Hint: Read through the thread again, and then tell me who he is. :wink:

11. Feb 25, 2012 #10
    Ahahah... I had not noticed that it was someone different that responded! I apologize. :biggrin:

Congratulations. :cool: What project will you be working on?

12. Mar 17, 2012 #11
    Congrats laxatives! Looks like we'll be meeting each other at SLAC this summer!

13. Mar 18, 2012 #12
    Last year I went to SLAC, and they didn't contact me until...mid-April? It was something like that. This year I heard back from Brookhaven a couple days ago. I reason that the date must vary pretty dramatically between labs.

14. Mar 19, 2012 #13
    What do you mean by heard back exactly? An offer or a mentor asking if you are interested in his research topic?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook