1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DoE/SULI acceptances?

1. Feb 5, 2015 #1
    I applied to the DoE Summer Undergraduate Laboratory Internships for this summer. I chose PPPL as my first choice and LLNL as my second.
    Has anyone heard back from any lab yet? When should I expect to hear back? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2015 #2
    I was accepted last year and heard back on February 20th, however this was at Fermilab and each lab does things differently.

I also applied again this year and haven't heard back yet :)

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who scours forums waiting to see if anyone has gotten acceptances yet!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  4. Feb 6, 2015 #3

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

I didn't apply for SULI, but I applied for CCI, which is for all practical purposes the same program but for community college students. My first choice lab was Fermilab, and my second choice was SLAC. I haven't heard anything back yet. I'm checking the application status everyday (okay, maybe a few times a day). It still says "Application complete & pending review." I'm getting antsy.

5. Feb 7, 2015 #4
    That's the date I've been seeing pop up around the internet, so I guess I'll have to wait for two weeks :(

Mine says the same thing! I just want them to review it already!!

6. Feb 7, 2015 #5

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

That seems to be the date that I keep seeing popping up. I found a thread from 2012 with someone that got an offer from Argonne in the first week of February, so it could be sooner. I keep seeing people who got their offers around the end of February though. I'm guessing it comes out in waves.

7. Feb 7, 2015 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't know if there is a set date where everyone gets the news at the same time. It might depend on when a candidate is accepted.

When I was a mentor for a SULI student, my student got the acceptance notice quite early since I did my review and selection quickly. So while we had a deadline by which we had to make our selection, the early notice may go out whenever the mentor makes his/her decision.

Zz.

8. Feb 7, 2015 #7
    Does anyone know if you hear back even if you are rejected?

9. Feb 7, 2015 #8

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

That's a very worthwhile question. I assume they'll at least update the application status online.

10. Feb 7, 2015 #9
    Does anyone know if the application status is updated if they pass your application along to the sites? Or does it remain as "pending review"? I can't help but get so anxious about this

11. Feb 7, 2015 #10

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Pass your application along to the sites? I'm not sure what you mean. I check my application status on the DOE CCI website. Is there another site where the application status can be seen?

12. Feb 7, 2015 #11
    The DoE reviews applications first, and then gives the best applications to each site and that's when they decide if you're in. Or so I thought, maybe I'm wrong.

13. Feb 7, 2015 #12

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Oh, okay. I see what you're saying. I misunderstood you.

I'm not sure how that works. I'm not sure if the DOE itself even reviews the applications before sending them to the host labs. They obviously check them over to make sure that they're complete and meet eligibility, but I think it's basically decided by the people at the labs to which one has applied.

14. Feb 7, 2015 #13

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Oh, okay. I see what you're saying. I misunderstood you.

I'm not sure how that works. I'm not sure if the DOE itself even reviews the applications before sending them to the host labs. They obviously check them over to make sure that they're complete and meet eligibility, but I think it's basically decided by the people at the labs to which one has applied.

15. Feb 8, 2015 #14
    It's not. I checked my application status every day until I was accepted. I checked it maybe 5-6 hours before I got the e-mail saying I was accepted, and it said "Pending review". And as soon as I checked after I got the e-mail, my status changed to "Offer pending" or something.

Believe me, I was every bit as anxious last year as you guys were. This year I realized it didn't make a difference.

16. Feb 8, 2015 #15

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

The anxiety doesn't really accomplish anything. But right now I feel like I've got so much pending. I'm awaiting transfer decisions from a couple of schools, and waiting for a decision on this internship. I'm ready for April to get here. That's when I'll finally have a solid plan for what I'm going to be doing this summer and where I'll be transferring in the fall.

I'm sure I'll receive emails from all of these places as soon as anything changes, but I still can't help checking on all of them every day...lol

17. Feb 8, 2015 #16
    I know it doesn't make a difference at all, I'm just anxious. I'm probably going to apply to graduate school in the fall so I want to know where I'll stand at the end of the summer.

18. Feb 9, 2015 #17
    I applied to ORNL and ANL. My application status is still pending awaiting review also.

19. Feb 17, 2015 #18
    Any updates anyone? I'm getting so anxious D:

20. Feb 17, 2015 #19

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Still no response here. I'm getting anxious as well.

21. Feb 17, 2015 #20
    Nothing here either. Will update if I hear anything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook