Unexpected Findings: Exploring an Unexpected Series

• Thread starter Kidphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation is discussing the value of 0! and its relationship to the series expansion of e^x. The first term in the series has 0! in the denominator, which leads to a discussion about whether 0! should be considered as 1 or an undefined value. Eventually, it is determined that by convention, 0! is equal to 1. This is supported by using the gamma function and plugging in x=1, which results in 0!=1. The conversation ends on a positive note, with the person expressing their enjoyment of the conversation.
Kidphysics

Homework Statement

Stumbled onto this picture..

Homework Equations

d01768f32d52c6447243b82541a37946.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I see the first term in the series has in the denominator 0! but isn't that the same thing as dividing by 0 or do we treat the first term as just the number 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
0! is by convention 1. You want n!=n*(n-1)!. So 1!=1 should be 1*0!. Better set 0! to one.

[tex]e^0=1[/tex] and using that formula, we get [tex]e^0=\lim_{n\to\infty}\left(\frac{1}{0!}+\frac{0}{1!}+\frac{0}{2!}+...+\frac{0}{n!}\right)=\frac{1}{0!}[/tex] so you can then conclude that since we have [tex]1=\frac{1}{0!}[/tex] then [tex]0!=1[/tex]

You can also use the gamma function for a quick way of seeing this.
[itex] \Gamma (x) = \int_0 ^{\infty} t^{x-1} e^{-t} dt [/itex] for x>0. Plugging in x = 1, you see that [itex]\Gamma (1) = 1[/itex]. For integers, the gamma function has the recursion [itex] \Gamma (n+1) = n! [/itex], so for n = 0 we have [itex] 1 = \Gamma (1) = 0! [/itex].

I little unrelated, but I was going through all of the homework threads to give myself some much needed practice.
But none of them made me smile like this : )

1. What is the purpose of "Unexpected Findings: Exploring an Unexpected Series"?

The purpose of this series is to document and analyze unexpected findings in various scientific studies, and to explore the potential implications of these findings.

2. Who is the target audience for this series?

This series is intended for fellow scientists, researchers, and anyone interested in the scientific process and its unexpected outcomes.

3. How are the unexpected findings chosen for this series?

The unexpected findings are chosen based on their significance, relevance, and potential impact on the scientific community.

4. Are the unexpected findings discussed in this series verified by multiple studies?

Yes, all unexpected findings discussed in this series are backed by reputable scientific studies and research.

5. Can the unexpected findings in this series be applied to real-life situations?

While the unexpected findings may not directly apply to real-life situations, they provide valuable insights and open up new avenues for further research and understanding of the world around us.