Is 0.999... really equal to 1?

In summary, the conversation is about whether 0.999... is equal to 1. The creator of a video argues that they are not equivalent, but another person explains that the infinite sum of the series can be calculated using the equation a/(1-r), which results in the sum being equal to 10. The creator of the video argues that the partial sum never reaches 1, but others point out that this is due to a misunderstanding of limits and infinite series. The conversation ends with a suggestion to read through similar discussions and an FAQ on the topic.
Kaura
Does 0.999... equals 1?
I know that this is a very basic well known concept but recently I stumbled across a video on Youtube in which the creator argues that the two are not equivalent
I posted a comment arguing that in the case of Infinite sum of Σn=0 9(1/10)n you can find the sum of the series using the equation a/(1-r) which gives 9/(1-(1/10)) which equals 10
Thus the sequence 9 + 0.9 + 0.09... which should equal 9.999... also equals 10 and subtracting 9 from both values gives 0.999... equals 1
The creator of the video responded to this by stating that the partial sum of the series approaches the value of 1 but never reaches it which I suppose is true for limits however the fact that it is an infinite sum should lend it to be equal to what it approaches should it not?
This seems to simply be an argument about terminology and I am by no means a mathematics expert so I was curious as the what some of you guys had to say in regard to this

Mathematics news on Phys.org
They are equal. The only time I know where it mattered is in certain proofs that the cardinality of real numbers is greater than that for rational numbers. The proof goes something like this: presume you have listed all real numbers between 0 and 1 - which you should be able to do if they are countable (as are the rationals). Then build a new number by making its first digit different from the first digit of the first number in the list, its 2nd digit different from the 2nd digit of the 2nd number in the list, and so on. The new number that you created is a real number that is different from all other number in the list. Which disproves the existence of any such list.

However, when you do the substitution, it's best to avoid the digits 0 or 9. Otherwise you could construct something like 0.12399999... even though 0.124 is already in the list.

Kaura said:
Does 0.999... equals 1?
I know that this is a very basic well known concept but recently I stumbled across a video on Youtube in which the creator argues that the two are not equivalent
I posted a comment arguing that in the case of Infinite sum of Σn=0 9(1/10)n you can find the sum of the series using the equation a/(1-r) which gives 9/(1-(1/10)) which equals 10
Thus the sequence 9 + 0.9 + 0.09... which should equal 9.999... also equals 10 and subtracting 9 from both values gives 0.999... equals 1
The creator of the video responded to this by stating that the partial sum of the series approaches the value of 1 but never reaches it which I suppose is true for limits however the fact that it is an infinite sum should lend it to be equal to what it approaches should it not?
This seems to simply be an argument about terminology and I am by no means a mathematics expert so I was curious as the what some of you guys had to say in regard to this
Please read through the "Similar Discussion" threads listed at the bottom of the page. This is a frequently asked question here at the PF. :smile:

Kaura said:
The creator of the video responded to this by stating that the partial sum of the series approaches the value of 1 but never reaches it
Then the creator of the video is ignorant of mathematics, and in particular limits and infinite series.

Likes mfb

1. What is the meaning of the "0.999..." notation?

The notation "0.999..." represents an infinite decimal expansion, where the number 9 repeats infinitely. This notation is used to represent the limit of a series, where each term in the series is getting closer and closer to 1.

2. Is "0.999..." equal to 1?

Yes, in the standard real number system, "0.999..." is equal to 1. This can be proven using mathematical techniques such as limits and algebraic manipulation.

3. How can something infinitely close to 1 be equal to 1?

Although it may seem counterintuitive, in the real number system, there is no number between 0.999... and 1. Therefore, they are considered to be the same number.

4. Can you provide an example or real-life application of "0.999..." being equal to 1?

One example is in the concept of infinite series, where "0.999..." represents the sum of an infinite number of terms that are getting closer and closer to 1. Additionally, in the field of calculus, the concept of limits is used to show that "0.999..." is equal to 1.

5. Are there any exceptions or cases where "0.999..." does not equal 1?

In the standard real number system, "0.999..." is always equal to 1. However, in other number systems such as the p-adic numbers, this may not always be the case. Additionally, in certain contexts, such as in computer programming, rounding errors may occur which could result in "0.999..." not being exactly equal to 1.