1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does a set of vectors span Rn

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine if the following sets of vectors span the indicated space

a) {[0 -6 -6], [8 -3 5], [-9 7 -2]}, ℝ3.
    b) {[2 1 7 -2], [3 5 4 5], [4 -4 -3 -3], [-5 0 6 -4]}, ℝ4.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) a[0 -6 -6] + b[8 -3 5] + c[-9 7 -2] = [x y z]
    x = 8b - 9c
    y = -6a -3b + 7c
    z = -6a + 5b - 2c

I don't know where to go from here - I'm sure if I can figure that out I'll be able to do b as well.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use row reduction.

4. Oct 11, 2012 #3
    We haven't been taught that yet that's why I'm not sure what he wants us to do..

We've been talking about linear independence, bases, and dimension but I don't know how I can go back and check if it spans the space.

5. Oct 11, 2012 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Have you been taught determinants? It would be much faster, but row reduction will give you the answer nicely.

6. Oct 11, 2012 #5
    No, we haven't really been taught how to do anything with matrices, except maybe adding matrices or multiplying matrices by a scalar.

7. Oct 11, 2012 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Google row reduction. There's lots of stuff out there and it really only takes 20-30 mins to learn once you've seen a few examples done.

EDIT : Here's a great explanation with an example :

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  8. Oct 11, 2012 #7
    Hmm, well, that helps, I think I can figure it out from here and I'll ask my professor if there was another method he expected us to know

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook