1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does a uniform magnetic field without fringing exist?

1. Mar 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that a iform magnetic field that has no fringing field is impossible because it violates ampere's law. Do this calculation by applying Ampere's Law to a rectangle that contains the edge of the field with two sides running parallel to the field.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

SOLUTION: The contour integral consists of four portions, two horizontal portions for which the integral equals 0 and two vertical portions. The portion within the magnetic field gives a non-vanishing contribution to the contour integral Hence the contour integral has a finite value. However, it encloses no current; thus, it appears that Amperes law is violated. What this demonstrates is that there must be a fringing field so that the contour integral does disappear.

First off, what is fringing? - I can't find a definition. I'm assuming it is the field lines that run outside the contained field.

If my above assumption is correct how would this fringe field make the contour integral disappear?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted