Electrical Engineering: Past and Present

In summary, electrical engineers who earned their B.A. in Electrical Engineering between 1998-2009 would have been taught different concepts compared to those who graduated in 1950 or 1970. The advancements in technology, particularly in digital electronics, have led to changes in curriculum. However, both would have a strong foundation in math, controls, and fields. More recent graduates may have a stronger background in software and semiconductor physics, while older graduates may have a stronger background in analog circuitry. Some concepts, such as circuit analysis techniques, remain consistent throughout time.
Jurrasic
Would an electrical engineer who earns a B.A. in Electrical engineering from around say 1998 - 2009 going to be taught different concepts than an electrical engineer who went to college say in 1950 or 1970 ? What are some of the differences?

Engineering news on Phys.org

I would seriously doubt it. Technology has changed so much since then that I would guess that everything but the fundamentals has change. Digital electronics for example. And don't forget things like power transistors and IGBTs. Computers have also made analyzing some of the most difficult problems a walk in the park.

Jurrasic said:
Would an electrical engineer who earns a B.A. in Electrical engineering from around say 1998 - 2009 going to be taught different concepts than an electrical engineer who went to college say in 1950 or 1970 ? What are some of the differences?
I got my education in the 1950's, and my only EE lab electronics course covered thermionic emission and pentode amplifier circuits (Q to Forum Admins: why does your spell checker underline "pentode"?). If I got my education in 1970, I would learn about germanium and silicon BJTs, PDP-8 "flip-chip" computers, the Fairchild uA 702 and uA 709 amplifiers (and uA 741?), and SN7400 series digital gates. The HP-35 pocket calculator was still 2 or 3 years away, (and cost ~$395).. I quess few readers ever heard of Amplidyne power amplifiers (dc gain ~10,000 and unity-gain bandwidth about 100 Hz).
Bob S

Jurrasic said:

To a degree, yes. Today, an EE would be exposed to more semiconductor physics. Also, digital, and software gets more attention these days. The EE who graduated in 1950-1970 may more than likely have a stronger background in analog circuitry than a recent EE grad. But, a recent EE grad is more likely stronger in software, and semi physics.

Both should be well versed in math, controls, and fields.

Claude

Last edited:

I'm confident the answer is partly. I'm somewhat of an engineering historian, and I've seen plastic calculators that were specially designed for analyzing second order systems. When I went to school, we used mainframes to run Spice as a batch. Later, the kids were taking Spice and control systems programs home to run on their PCs.

Now, I know more recent graduates that leave knowing VHDL and are ready for digital-hungry world.

Then again, some things don't change much. I have an old edition of the General Electric A-Course and it pretty much teaches the same circuit analysis techniques you'd get now.

1. What is the history of electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering has a long and complex history, dating back to the 19th century. It began with the discovery of electricity and the development of basic electrical components like the battery, light bulb, and telegraph. Over time, engineers and scientists made significant advances in understanding and harnessing electricity, leading to innovations such as the electric motor, radio, and telephone. Today, electrical engineering continues to evolve and shape our world in countless ways.

2. How has electrical engineering changed over time?

Electrical engineering has undergone significant changes over time, driven by advancements in technology and the growing demand for electricity in various industries. In the past, electrical engineers focused primarily on power generation and distribution. However, with the rise of electronics and computer technology, the field has expanded to include areas such as telecommunications, microelectronics, and power electronics. Additionally, there has been a shift towards sustainable and renewable energy sources, leading to the development of new technologies and practices within the field.

3. What are some notable achievements in the history of electrical engineering?

There have been many notable achievements in the history of electrical engineering. Some of the most significant include the development of the first electric power station by Thomas Edison in 1882, the invention of the transistor in 1947, and the creation of the first computer by John Atanasoff and Clifford Berry in 1942. Other notable achievements include the first commercial radio broadcast in 1920 and the first satellite communication in 1962.

4. How has electrical engineering impacted society?

Electrical engineering has had a profound impact on society, shaping how we communicate, work, and live. It has revolutionized industries such as transportation, healthcare, and telecommunications, making our lives more convenient and efficient. It has also played a crucial role in the development of modern technologies, such as smartphones, computers, and renewable energy sources. Without electrical engineering, many of the advancements and conveniences we enjoy today would not be possible.

5. What are some current trends and challenges in electrical engineering?

Some current trends in electrical engineering include the development of smart and sustainable cities, the integration of artificial intelligence into electrical systems, and the advancement of wireless power transfer. However, with these advancements come challenges, such as ensuring the security and reliability of electrical systems, addressing energy efficiency and sustainability, and managing the increasing complexity of electrical networks. Electrical engineers must continue to adapt and innovate to meet these challenges and drive progress in the field.