Does an electron have a known diameter and rest mass?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum measurement and the role of decoherence in creating stable classical systems. The speaker questions how a classical system, formed through decoherence, can still contain particles that are able to be in a superposition state.
DMuitW
I'm still very confused to some extent.
I know that from QM, an electron, due to Heisenbergs UP can't be measured definitely. It is following Schrödingers equation, and is presented as a vector in Hilbert space ,i.e. in a "electron cloud" of propability.

But here my theory is incomplete. I've read some things about when a measurement is made (lets not go into detail about what kind of measurement), possible states are reduced (wave collapse), creating a classical part.
Decoherence is the process the propability wave undergoes due to interaction and "continuous" measurement with environment. In this way, the quantum system is continuously measured, resulting in a "stable" (can be macroscopic) system. So according to what I read and decoherence told me, from the moment a classical system is created, its states are reduced, wave -function collapsed, and stay classical, due to constant environmental measurement upon...
So I think the electron that has been created along with the other parts of the system, is constantly measured, allowing no more a superposition state, leaving you, according to me, with a classical particle.
How then, can a well defined classical system, created by decoherence, that is able to stay stable thru constant environmental interaction, be build up of particles that can in some way or another still be superposed?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No and yes.

It is a common misconception that a classical system, such as an electron, is constantly being measured and therefore cannot exist in a superposition state. However, this is not entirely accurate. While decoherence does play a role in the collapse of the wave function and the creation of a classical system, it does not completely eliminate the possibility of a superposition state.

Firstly, it is important to note that decoherence does not occur instantaneously. It takes time for the environment to interact with the quantum system and for the wave function to collapse. Therefore, during this time, the electron can still exist in a superposition state.

Additionally, decoherence does not completely eliminate the possibility of a superposition state. It only reduces the probability of observing the system in a superposition state. This means that there is still a small chance that the electron could be in a superposition state, even after decoherence has occurred.

Furthermore, it is important to remember that the concept of measurement in quantum mechanics is not the same as our everyday understanding of measurement. In quantum mechanics, a measurement is simply an interaction between the quantum system and the measuring device, and it does not necessarily result in a collapse of the wave function. So even if the electron is constantly being "measured" by its environment, it does not mean that it cannot exist in a superposition state.

In conclusion, while it is true that an electron cannot be measured definitively and has a wave-like nature, it is not accurate to say that it does not have a known diameter and rest mass. These properties can be described and measured with a certain degree of uncertainty, but that does not mean they do not exist. And while decoherence does play a role in the collapse of the wave function and the creation of a classical system, it does not completely eliminate the possibility of a superposition state.

1. What is the diameter of an electron?

The diameter of an electron is considered to be infinitesimally small, meaning it has no known size or dimensions. It is often described as a point particle with no physical size.

2. Can we measure the diameter of an electron?

No, we cannot directly measure the diameter of an electron due to its extremely small size. However, we can indirectly estimate its size through experiments and calculations.

3. Does an electron have rest mass?

Yes, an electron has a rest mass of approximately 9.11 x 10^-31 kilograms. This is the mass of the electron when it is at rest and not in motion.

4. How does the rest mass of an electron affect its behavior?

The rest mass of an electron plays a crucial role in its behavior, as it determines the electron's inertia and how it responds to external forces. The rest mass also affects the electron's energy and momentum, which are important factors in its movement and interactions with other particles.

5. Is the rest mass of an electron constant?

Yes, the rest mass of an electron is considered to be a fundamental constant of nature and does not change. This means that regardless of its speed or location, an electron will always have the same rest mass.