1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anybody have experience in home schooling ?

1. Aug 18, 2005 #1
    Does anybody have experience in home schooling ?
    Would OLCI be a good choice?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2005 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no idea what OLCI is, but homeschoolers score relatively high on the SATs...my two cents

4. Aug 23, 2005 #3
    OLCI is and open learning center meaning you can study an a-level course at home without having to go to school. They send you a package of booklets which you do in your time, as well as you get a tutor whom you can contact when ever you like. I am interested in taking one of these courses, but i have never done this before. I was actually hoping someone who did this already could tell me if it works...
    I am thankfull for any comment though :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  5. Aug 23, 2005 #4

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does the term GSCE (or GCSE) sound familiar to you? I think I've run across a forum, just like this one, devoted to homeschooling...although I'm not able to remember at this time.

6. Aug 23, 2005 #5
    Well, I'd say to avoid homeschooling. The social development that is associated with normal schooling is just as important as the academic development, IMO.

7. Aug 31, 2005 #6
    yes but if you score really low grades because you just don't feel like you are in right environment and you don't like socializing anyway. I have been working alone now for one year and i can say i failed utterly, but i have also while going to school, i am not mentally retarded or have other brain deficiencies and i studied like hell the whole of last year, but i still managed to score grades that royally piss me off . Homeschooling in the moment seems the only resonable thing to do, as it would provide me with someone i could contact to ask questions and someone to direct me in the pace at which i am learning.
    So if anyone did homeschooling, i would be gratefull for a comment regarding if it worked, because i'm not 100% sure if i want to do it or if i should give school another try.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?