Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anybody have experience in home schooling ?

1. Aug 18, 2005 #1
    Does anybody have experience in home schooling ?
    Would OLCI be a good choice?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2005 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no idea what OLCI is, but homeschoolers score relatively high on the SATs...my two cents

4. Aug 23, 2005 #3
    OLCI is and open learning center meaning you can study an a-level course at home without having to go to school. They send you a package of booklets which you do in your time, as well as you get a tutor whom you can contact when ever you like. I am interested in taking one of these courses, but i have never done this before. I was actually hoping someone who did this already could tell me if it works...
    I am thankfull for any comment though :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  5. Aug 23, 2005 #4

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does the term GSCE (or GCSE) sound familiar to you? I think I've run across a forum, just like this one, devoted to homeschooling...although I'm not able to remember at this time.

6. Aug 23, 2005 #5
    Well, I'd say to avoid homeschooling. The social development that is associated with normal schooling is just as important as the academic development, IMO.

7. Aug 31, 2005 #6
    yes but if you score really low grades because you just don't feel like you are in right environment and you don't like socializing anyway. I have been working alone now for one year and i can say i failed utterly, but i have also while going to school, i am not mentally retarded or have other brain deficiencies and i studied like hell the whole of last year, but i still managed to score grades that royally piss me off . Homeschooling in the moment seems the only resonable thing to do, as it would provide me with someone i could contact to ask questions and someone to direct me in the pace at which i am learning.
    So if anyone did homeschooling, i would be gratefull for a comment regarding if it worked, because i'm not 100% sure if i want to do it or if i should give school another try.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook