Does anybody have experience in home schooling ?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of homeschooling and its effectiveness. The participants discuss the Open Learning Center International (OLCI) as an option for homeschooling and its benefits, particularly the flexibility and support it offers. They also mention the importance of social development in traditional schooling and the potential struggles of working alone. The person seeking advice asks for input from anyone with experience in homeschooling to determine if it would be a good choice for them.
Nocturn888
Does anybody have experience in home schooling ?
Would OLCI be a good choice?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
no idea what OLCI is, but homeschoolers score relatively high on the SATs...my two cents

OLCI is and open learning center meaning you can study an a-level course at home without having to go to school. They send you a package of booklets which you do in your time, as well as you get a tutor whom you can contact when ever you like. I am interested in taking one of these courses, but i have never done this before. I was actually hoping someone who did this already could tell me if it works...
I am thankfull for any comment though :)

Last edited:
Does the term GSCE (or GCSE) sound familiar to you? I think I've run across a forum, just like this one, devoted to homeschooling...although I'm not able to remember at this time.

Well, I'd say to avoid homeschooling. The social development that is associated with normal schooling is just as important as the academic development, IMO.

yes but if you score really low grades because you just don't feel like you are in right environment and you don't like socializing anyway. I have been working alone now for one year and i can say i failed utterly, but i have also while going to school, i am not mentally retarded or have other brain deficiencies and i studied like hell the whole of last year, but i still managed to score grades that royally piss me off . Homeschooling in the moment seems the only resonable thing to do, as it would provide me with someone i could contact to ask questions and someone to direct me in the pace at which i am learning.
So if anyone did homeschooling, i would be gratefull for a comment regarding if it worked, because I'm not 100% sure if i want to do it or if i should give school another try.

1. What are the advantages of home schooling?

There are several advantages to home schooling, including the ability to customize the curriculum to fit the student's needs, the flexibility to set your own schedule, and the opportunity for one-on-one instruction.

2. How do you get started with home schooling?

The first step is to research your state's laws and regulations regarding home schooling. Then, you can choose a curriculum and create a schedule that works for your family. It's also important to join a local home schooling community for support and resources.

3. Is home schooling as effective as traditional schooling?

There is no definitive answer to this question, as every student is different. However, studies have shown that home schooled students often perform better academically and have higher rates of college acceptance.

4. Can you home school multiple children at once?

Yes, many families successfully home school multiple children at different grade levels. This can be achieved through group learning activities, independent work, and utilizing online resources.

5. How do you ensure socialization for home schooled children?

Home schooled children have many opportunities for socialization, including participating in local co-ops and classes, joining sports teams, and attending community events. It's also important for parents to prioritize social interactions and encourage their children to make friends outside of their home schooling community.