Does anybody know a site where i can find many epsilon delta problems?

In summary, The conversation discusses the frustration with understanding \epsilon - \delta proofs and the search for resources to practice and improve skills in solving them. It is suggested to look in textbooks and online resources, such as the "bullcleo1" YouTube channel and the "tutorial.math.lamar.edu" website. The importance of understanding the concept and intuition behind \epsilon - \delta proofs is emphasized, rather than relying on a specific procedure.
kramer733
I'm sick of still not getting this. I bombed the epsilon delta part of my mid term. A site where it gives many problems on epsilon delta and solutions would be amazing.

Physics news on Phys.org
The amazing thing about [itex]\epsilon - \delta[/itex] proofs is that you can make them up yourself!

Take any function [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] that you know is continuous. And prove the limit exists.

You know the limit from intuition, now prove that what you think is correct through the use of epsilons and deltas!

kramer733 said:
I'm sick of still not getting this. I bombed the epsilon delta part of my mid term. A site where it gives many problems on epsilon delta and solutions would be amazing.

You do not need a site to find them. Look in any good Calculus 1\2 textbook. You will find plenty there. Also, if you need to get a good handle on doing these epsilon delta limits proofs, there is a YouTube channel, "bullcleo1".

I really like this guy's http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/DefnOfLimit.aspx" [Broken]. Hope you find it useful. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Saladsamurai said:
I really like this guy's http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/DefnOfLimit.aspx" [Broken]. Hope you find it useful. :smile:

Ditto. Whomever Paul is, I love him. That site is great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Read it over. But I'm really looking for a site with just A BUNCH of problems so i can get more practice on them. Would anybody know of such sites?

Try one of the Schaum series books, I remember using one that was probably called "mathematical analysis 2", it had a lot of proof-based calculus problems.

Practicing will be useless if it doesn't help you understand the concept. Understand the concept visually and in other ways (like a game where I give you epsilon and challenge you to find delta). Then, practice. There's no general procedure that will always work. You just have to have some intuition and creativity.

1. What are epsilon delta problems?

Epsilon delta problems are a type of mathematical problems that involve finding the limit of a function using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit. This definition states that a limit L exists for a function f(x) as x approaches a point c, if for any positive number epsilon, there exists a positive number delta such that the distance between f(x) and L is less than epsilon when the distance between x and c is less than delta.

2. Why are epsilon delta problems important in mathematics?

Epsilon delta problems are important in mathematics because they provide a rigorous and precise way to determine the limit of a function. This is essential in many areas of mathematics and science, such as calculus, analysis, and physics.

3. Where can I find epsilon delta problems to practice?

There are many websites and online resources that offer a variety of epsilon delta problems for practice. Some popular sites include Khan Academy, Math Stack Exchange, and Paul's Online Math Notes.

4. How can I solve epsilon delta problems?

To solve an epsilon delta problem, you can follow a step-by-step approach. First, determine the given limit and choose a value for epsilon. Then, use algebraic manipulations to find a value for delta. Finally, check if the distance between f(x) and L is less than epsilon when the distance between x and c is less than delta.

5. Can I use epsilon delta problems to prove the continuity of a function?

Yes, epsilon delta problems can be used to prove the continuity of a function. If the limit exists for a function f(x) at a point c, and the value of f(c) is equal to the limit, then the function is continuous at that point. This can be shown using the epsilon delta definition of a limit.