Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anybody know the neurological explanation behind insomnia?

1. Apr 25, 2003 #1
    Does anybody know the neurochemical explanation behind insomnia?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2003 #2
    Re: Insomnia

Sleep is a neurochemical and neurophysical process but I'm not sure that there is a specific neurochemical explanation for insomnia, stress can throw off the sleep process, therefore creating an abnormal balance. I'm fairly sure that is the only explanation. That is obviously only for stress-related or short-term insomnia.

I think long-term insomnia is caused by a general unbalance in the neurochemical system.
  4. Apr 27, 2003 #3

Staff: Mentor

Re: Insomnia

Its called Dr. Pepper.
  5. Apr 27, 2003 #4
    When you sleep is determined by your Circadian Rythm. This is a sort of bio-rythm that consists of the release of cortisol at different frequencies throughout the day. If you are not releasing cortisol at the proper frequency, then your sleep pattern will be confused. Your cortisol gets infrequent, when you don't follow any kind of schedule for sleeping (staying up late sometimes, and going to sleep early sometimes...), and/or when you use stimulants or depressants, which alter the production of cortisol in your system chemically.

I can't give a much more technical response, since I don't know that much about it, but that's my "two cents" for you.
  6. Apr 27, 2003 #5
    hyper acetecholine/neurotransmiters

Where the thoughts go, the neurotransmitters will follow.

Where the neurotransmitters gather... so too will the thoughts.
    Its a snowball effect.

Where the thoughts and the neurotransmitters get together, there will be poor-to-nil sleep.

Try turning off the thoughts. Sleep will be fair-to-middling.

Watch the sheep... except for Agnes, the ugly one.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?