Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anybody know verilog?

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    Hi. I'm new to verilog and I'm trying to do something that to me, seems very simple. I have a file with some logic and outputs, and all I want is for the outputs to hold their values, like registers.

In other words, if output = 001, I want it to stay that way until it is re-assigned. The problem I am having, is that verilog won't let me assign my output or a wire to a register value.

Here is my code so far:
    Code (Text):
    module coin_input(CI, button_out_signal, button_in);
        output [1:0] CI;
        output button_out_signal;
        input [3:0] button_in;
        wire [2:0] button_id;
        reg [1:0] CItemp;
        wire [1:0] CItemp2;
        assign CI[1] = CItemp2[1];
        assign CI[0] = CItemp2[0];
        assign CItemp2[1] = CItemp[1];
        assign CItemp2[0] = CItemp[0];
        //Connect buttons to button stabilizers
        //Button_Stabilizer(button_out, button1_in, enter)
        Button_Stabilizer   bs2(button_id[2], button_in[3], button_in[0]),
                            bs1(button_id[1], button_in[2], button_in[0]),
                            bs0(button_id[0], button_in[1], button_in[0]);
        //Convert button_id's to CI to give precedence to higher-value coins
        always @(posedge button_in[3]) begin
            {CItemp[1], CItemp[0]} <= 2'b11;
        always @(posedge button_in[2]) begin
            {CItemp[1], CItemp[0]} <= 2'b10;
        always @(posedge button_in[1]) begin
            {CItemp[1], CItemp[0]} <= 2'b01;

//Set button_out_signal to 1
        assign button_out_signal = button_in | 1'b0;
    You can see that I am using the register CItemp to hold the values that I want to store. I want to assign the output, CI, to this register value. How in the world do I do that?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2
    I'm really very sorry, but I believe I have figured out what I was doing wrong above. I've traced it back to a different issue, actually.

The problem is that I have a circuit with three different inputs, and the circuit is supposed to react based on a positive edge from any of the inputs. For example, if input1 has a positive edge, the output should be set to 01. If input2 has a positive edge, the output should be set to 10.

I am having a serious issue coding this. I have one procedural statement to excute a bunch of code when there is a positive edge in either input:
    Code (Text):
    always @(posedge button_id[2] or posedge button_id[1] or posedge button_id[0]) begin
    But, I am not able to write good logic after that, because once inside that procedural statement, how can the code be aware of WHICH input generated a positive edge?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?