How to Maintain Output Values in Verilog Like Registers?

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
In summary: I have looked through the verilog documentation, and it doesn't seem to be very helpful. In summary, I am having a lot of trouble making my circuit react based on the input values.
KingNothing
Hi. I'm new to verilog and I'm trying to do something that to me, seems very simple. I have a file with some logic and outputs, and all I want is for the outputs to hold their values, like registers.

In other words, if output = 001, I want it to stay that way until it is re-assigned. The problem I am having, is that verilog won't let me assign my output or a wire to a register value.

Here is my code so far:
Code:
module coin_input(CI, button_out_signal, button_in);
	output [1:0] CI;
	output button_out_signal;
	input [3:0] button_in;

wire [2:0] button_id;

reg [1:0] CItemp;
	wire [1:0] CItemp2;
	assign CI[1] = CItemp2[1];
	assign CI[0] = CItemp2[0];
	assign CItemp2[1] = CItemp[1];
	assign CItemp2[0] = CItemp[0];

//Connect buttons to button stabilizers
	//Button_Stabilizer(button_out, button1_in, enter)
	Button_Stabilizer	bs2(button_id[2], button_in[3], button_in[0]),
						bs1(button_id[1], button_in[2], button_in[0]),
						bs0(button_id[0], button_in[1], button_in[0]);

//Convert button_id's to CI to give precedence to higher-value coins
	always @(posedge button_in[3]) begin
		{CItemp[1], CItemp[0]} <= 2'b11;
	end

always @(posedge button_in[2]) begin
		{CItemp[1], CItemp[0]} <= 2'b10;
	end

always @(posedge button_in[1]) begin
		{CItemp[1], CItemp[0]} <= 2'b01;
	end

//Set button_out_signal to 1
	assign button_out_signal = button_in | 1'b0;
endmodule

You can see that I am using the register CItemp to hold the values that I want to store. I want to assign the output, CI, to this register value. How in the world do I do that?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm really very sorry, but I believe I have figured out what I was doing wrong above. I've traced it back to a different issue, actually.

The problem is that I have a circuit with three different inputs, and the circuit is supposed to react based on a positive edge from any of the inputs. For example, if input1 has a positive edge, the output should be set to 01. If input2 has a positive edge, the output should be set to 10.

I am having a serious issue coding this. I have one procedural statement to excute a bunch of code when there is a positive edge in either input:
Code:
always @(posedge button_id[2] or posedge button_id[1] or posedge button_id[0]) begin

But, I am not able to write good logic after that, because once inside that procedural statement, how can the code be aware of WHICH input generated a positive edge?

Hi there,

It looks like you are trying to use verilog to create a circuit that will hold and output specific values until they are re-assigned. In order to do this, you will need to use a flip-flop or latch circuit. These circuits are used in digital logic to store and output specific values until they are changed.

In your code, you have created a register called CItemp, which is a type of flip-flop. However, you are not using it correctly to achieve your desired result. Instead of using the assign statement, you should use the always block to assign the output CI to the value of CItemp. For example, you can use the following code to assign CItemp to the output CI:

always @(posedge button_in[0]) begin
CI <= CItemp;
end

This will assign the value of CItemp to the output CI whenever there is a positive edge on the input button_in[0].

I hope this helps. Keep exploring and learning about verilog to improve your skills as a scientist!

1. What is Verilog?

Verilog is a hardware description language (HDL) used to model and design digital circuits. It is commonly used in the field of electronics and electrical engineering.

2. Is Verilog difficult to learn?

Like any programming language, Verilog may have a learning curve, especially for those new to hardware design. However, with practice and proper understanding, it can be mastered efficiently.

3. How is Verilog used in real-world applications?

Verilog is used extensively in the design and verification of integrated circuits (ICs) and field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs). It is also used in the development of systems-on-chip (SoCs), hardware accelerators, and other digital systems.

4. Can Verilog be used for both simulation and synthesis?

Yes, Verilog can be used for both simulation and synthesis. In simulation, Verilog code is used to model and test digital circuits before being synthesized into a physical design. In synthesis, Verilog code is translated into a hardware description that can be implemented in a physical chip or FPGA.

5. Are there any alternatives to Verilog?

Yes, there are other HDLs such as VHDL and SystemVerilog that are commonly used in hardware design. However, Verilog remains one of the most widely used and supported languages in the industry.