Design & Build Instructions for a Turbine & 3 Phase Alternator

In summary: The application would be to power whatever runs on electricity. Would 1 phase be best for this or 3 phase??1 phase would be best for this.
Qaiphyx
3 phase alternator.

any good links to*** is what I meant in the title

Engineering news on Phys.org
That's a pretty vague question. Could you be more precise?

Hmm, Not to sure on how to be precise about this? What more information would you guys like? let's go with low cost that puts out 20kW runnin at around 10000 - 15000 rpms or would there be a better type of alternator for this high of rpms?

Last edited:
Turbine being driven by what? What application?

brewnog said:
Turbine being driven by what? What application?

EDIT: whoops read that wrong... lol

Does it matter for the alternator?

Last edited:
Qaiphyx said:
EDIT: whoops read that wrong... lol

Does it matter for the alternator?

I just need an alternator design, which I assume 3 phase would work best, and rough estimated size for 20kW output. Isnt it just 3 magnets rotating along three other things producing a sine current?

I just don't know the specifics of it, like what the magnets rotate along and how to wire it all up. Or how to find out how much horsepower I would need from the turbine to turn it.

Is this device something you must create from scratch or can you adapt existing hardware?
If you are willing to use existing hardware, used 3ph industrial motors are cheap. You can load them and use them as generators.

montoyas7940 said:
Is this device something you must create from scratch or can you adapt existing hardware?
If you are willing to use existing hardware, used 3ph industrial motors are cheap. You can load them and use them as generators.

I can use existing hardware, I would prefer to build from scratch though as I like to know the in an outs of everything. Plus would it not be more inexpensive to build it myself?

Qaiphyx said:
would it not be more inexpensive to build it myself?
I wouldn't think so.

The application would be to power whatever runs on electricity. Would 1 phase be best for this or 3 phase??

1. How do I design a turbine for my alternator?

Designing a turbine for an alternator requires understanding the power needs and desired output of your project. Start by calculating the required power output and researching different turbine designs to determine the best fit. Consider factors such as blade size, number of blades, and rotation speed.

2. What materials do I need to build a turbine and 3 phase alternator?

The materials needed for a turbine and 3 phase alternator will vary depending on the design and size of your project. However, common materials include metal or PVC pipes for the turbine blades, a generator motor, and basic hardware such as bolts and screws. It is important to research and plan out the materials needed before starting the build process.

3. How do I ensure the proper functioning of the alternator?

To ensure the proper functioning of the alternator, it is important to follow the design and build instructions carefully. Make sure all components are securely connected and that the turbine blades are properly aligned. It is also important to test the alternator under different wind conditions to ensure its efficiency.

4. Can I use a different type of alternator for my turbine?

Yes, you can use a different type of alternator for your turbine as long as it is compatible with the turbine design and has the necessary power output. However, it is important to note that using a different alternator may require some adjustments to the design and build process.

5. How can I increase the efficiency of my turbine and alternator?

To increase the efficiency of your turbine and alternator, you can consider factors such as the size and shape of the blades, placement of the turbine, and the type of alternator used. Additionally, regular maintenance and monitoring of the system can help identify any issues that may be affecting efficiency.