Does anyone hear know anything about phhysics?

• Thread starter physics_illiterate
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking information about a cosmic accelerator for a report on physics. However, the term "cosmic accelerator" is unclear and there is confusion about what exactly is being asked. The main focus is on high-energy cosmic rays and their sources, such as supernovae. Helpful websites are suggested for further research. There is also a mention of using a spell check for posts.
physics_illiterate
Does anyone hear know anything about phhysics?

I am doing a report for physics and i need to know what a cosmic accelerator is. Anyone with any information or a website i can visit please let me know. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, there are cosmic rays, and there are particle accelerators. The term "cosmic accelerator," however, is new to me. Can you please provide a little more information about what you need to write about?

- Warren

Unfortunatelty i can't find that wording to the question i am talking about. The question i have now is "Where do ultrahigh-energy particles come from?" here is link to a site i found. http://www.gearbits.com/archives/000613.html So i guess we can frget about cosmic accelerator. Any help? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you talking about the production of exotic particles by cosmic rays perhaps?

physics_illiterate said:
Anyone with any information or a website i can visit please let me know. Thank you

The website you want is google.com. Not only will you learn what a cosmic accelerator is, you'll learn how easy it is to learn about anything you're ever interested in learning about by using the internet.

Have fun!

physics_illiterate,
You might want to use a spell check on your posts.

High-energy cosmic rays have recently been shown near-simultaneous to particular supernova (accelerative) processes.

physics_illiterate said:
I am doing a report for physics and i need to know what a cosmic accelerator is. Anyone with any information or a website i can visit please let me know. Thank you
I typed "cosmic accelerator" into Google and got 188 sites. Here is a good one. http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20020427/fob3.asp

In reply to the original question, what are cosmic rays?

Well, the answer is.. many things, its a little bit of a vague concept. Usually we look for them by analyzing the electromagnetic trace they leave, which is why they were called that historically.

We are being bombarded by all sorts of these 'things', thousands of them per every minute actually.

Usually they are taken to be charged nuclei, indeed they can span the periodic table.. Things like alpha particles, protons etc. Most are just protons of course.

They are produced by all sorts of high energy cosmic processes, but most seem to come from supernovae.

Thanks for all the help everybody. I could not for the life of me find anything on google but that link helped a lot. Sorry about the spelling. I was in Physics class and I was in a hurry before the teacher could catch me. LOL

Cosmic accelerator information

:redface: for the one seeking information about cosmic accelerator ithink that here are good web sites...
http://www.grandunifiedtheory.org.il/
http://hep.fuw.edu.pl/neutrino/wyklad/wyklad2003/wyklad2.pdf
just check those web sites and check the if the information are what you are looking for
best wishes

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is physics?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, space, and time. It aims to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world and how objects interact with each other.

2. What are the main branches of physics?

The main branches of physics are classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and quantum mechanics. Other subfields include astrophysics, nuclear physics, and particle physics.

3. How is physics used in everyday life?

Physics has a wide range of applications in our daily lives, from the technology we use to the natural phenomena we observe. It helps explain how objects move, how electricity works, and how light and sound behave. It also plays a crucial role in many industries, such as engineering, medicine, and space exploration.

4. What are some famous physicists and their contributions?

Some famous physicists include Isaac Newton, who developed the laws of motion and gravity, Albert Einstein, who developed the theory of relativity, and Marie Curie, who discovered radioactivity. Other notable figures include Galileo Galilei, Nikola Tesla, and Stephen Hawking.

5. What skills are needed to study physics?

To study physics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and a curiosity about the natural world. It also requires patience and perseverance, as some concepts can be challenging to grasp at first.