Does anyone here eat at McDonald's

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
In summary: I take off the pickle. :smile:In summary, McDonald's has received a lot of negative attention, including being accused of using cow eyeballs and hooves in their meat, having high fat content in their salads and McGriddles, and being responsible for children knowing who Ronald McDonald is but not important figures like Jesus or George Bush. However, many of these statements have been proven to be false, and it ultimately comes down to personal choice in what one chooses to eat. Some people prefer other fast food options like Hardee's, while others enjoy McDonald's salads and other items on their menu.
My father is from Scotland and loves his home made Haggis. Now me personaly, I can't even look at it, let alone put it in my mouth.
But give some fine Chorizo and flat bread and I'm a happy camper.

Physics news on Phys.org
Haggis 'neaps and taties. Washed down with an Irn Bru. Och!

Chi Meson said:
with my scottish heritage, I get annoyed when people bring up the haggis thing: "Ewww, do you know what they put in haggis?"
I'm half Scots, and am revolted by the concept of Haggis. I don't even eat it when they pipe it out on Robbie Burns day. Most of it would be okay, but I detest oatmeal. :yuck:

hitssquad said:
The finger doner has still not been discovered.
Can't they get prints off of it. :confused:

C1ay said:
I asked, "What if I don't want cheese?" She replies, "then you have to order a Quarter Pounder w/cheese hold the cheese."
Back in the early 70's, when I was living near Windsor, my friends and I always went to Burger King. It was pretty good, and the only place where you could get special-order burgers. My neice came to visit once, and was a vegetarian. At the time there were no salads or anything like that available. After thinking for a minute, I ordered her a Whopper—hold the meat. They made it without batting an eye and charged me 35 cents for it. :smile:

It was about that same time that Red Barn in Detroit was fined for selling horse-meat burgers.

DocToxyn said:
You really should try it, it's a lot of fun plus you can make so many different varieties: chorizo, linguica, italian, 5-spice asian, seafood...mmmmmmm! Plus you can control the fat content. Just don't think about what went through the casings the last time they were used. :yuck:
You should be able to buy the plastic casings that they use for weiners somewhere.

DocToxyn said:
I had sweetbreads (calf thymus) when I was in New Orleans
I thought that sweetbread was pancreas. :confused:

Danger said:
Can't they get prints off of it. :confused:

Not all bite victims have been arrested before :tongue:

Like Mike Meyers said in "So I Married an Axe Murderer:"

"I think most Scottish cuisine is based on a dare."

Last edited:
yomamma said:
That's why I dont' eat fast food, they got fingers! There was a guy who got custard from a fast-food restaerant and he really did find a finger!

I really don't go out to eat unless it's chili's.
If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!

I watched the Daly show last night. They convinced me that the chili finger was a fake, but the custard finger is real. I need to watch better news.
Moonbear said:
I stopped ordering quarter pounders because they kept giving them to me with cheese on them when I didn't order it with cheese. I thought it was just the morons at the drive through window. There's no way I'm waiting for them to make anything to special order, it might cause their collective last neuron to explode to try to figure out how to do that.
I just feel grateful if they didn't spit on it. For minimum wage spending hours working over a hot stove in a customer service job, I'm surprised anyone would want to eat food prepared by fast food employees.

Last edited:
DocToxyn said:
You really should try it, it's a lot of fun plus you can make so many different varieties: chorizo, linguica, italian, 5-spice asian, seafood...mmmmmmm! Plus you can control the fat content. Just don't think about what went through the casings the last time they were used. :yuck:

:rofl: As long as someone else had the job of cleaning them, I'm okay with that. I think I'll put a meat grinder on my Christmas list this year. :biggrin:

Have you seen the haggis they now sell in cans? I just read about it in Saveur, I'll try to find the info on it and post it.
Why? I can't imagine eating it fresh, let alone out of a can!

I also recall seeing something about haggis-flavored potato chips. I agree about the most efficient use of the animal, we used to eat beef heart regularly, as well as liver. Kidney isn't too bad, but not something I choose. I had sweetbreads (calf thymus) when I was in New Orleans recently and they were great. Tripe is nice is soups too.
I can't stand beef liver. :yuck: It even smells bad! My mom made it once, and I was willing to try it until I smelled the stench wafting out of the kitchen. :yuck: :yuck: As for those other organs, just tough to chew on. I haven't had tripe, but I heard the texture is really the issue, that it just feels odd in the mouth. But maybe in soup, it would boil long enough to soften?

Moonbear said:
I can't stand beef liver. :yuck: It even smells bad! My mom made it once, and I was willing to try it until I smelled the stench wafting out of the kitchen. :yuck: :yuck:
The way I make it, you might like it. I've served it to people before without telling them what it was and they loved it. My ex swore he hated liver, but after having it my way, he asked for it all the time. It has to be sliced very thin and coated with seasoned flour, then I pan fry it with tons of thinly sliced onions that have been caramelized with bacon. Oooh, I need to go make some! :tongue2:

Danger said:
You should be able to buy the plastic casings that they use for weiners somewhere.

I thought that sweetbread was pancreas. :confused:

You can indeed buy cellulose-based casings, but the texture is weird and the finished product just looks fake, better to pack it in some hog guts.

As far as the sweetbreads, we're both right, they can be obtained from both thymus and pancreas. The ris de veau I had was probably thymus due to the size and since that cut is cheaper and thus more common.

Huckleberry said:
If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!
How about having the meat before the pudding. :wink:
I watched the Daly show last night. They convinced me that the chili finger was a fake, but the custard finger is real. I need to watch better news.
I just feel grateful if they didn't spit on it. For minimum wage spending hours working over a hot stove in a customer service job, I'm surprised anyone would want to eat food prepared by fast food employees.
I don't know what everyone has against the daily show! they do tell the news, they just make fun of it.

Evo said:
The way I make it, you might like it. I've served it to people before without telling them what it was and they loved it. My ex swore he hated liver, but after having it my way, he asked for it all the time. It has to be sliced very thin and coated with seasoned flour, then I pan fry it with tons of thinly sliced onions that have been caramelized with bacon. Oooh, I need to go make some! :tongue2:

That's what everyone tells me who likes liver. Smother it in onions seems to be the standard M.O. I also don't like liver pate (that someone snuck onto crackers and I didn't know what it was until I took a bite...it was a lot of effort not to gag and to manage to politely swallow), and I'm not sure if liverwurst is actually made with liver, but I can't stand that either (tasted a lot like the pate). There are some foods that I just don't like much, but can eat them if they are served to me, so I'm open to new preparation methods of those, but liver is in the category of things I find absolutely vile. I can't imagine it being at all redeemable. :yuck:

Moonbear said:
That's what everyone tells me who likes liver. Smother it in onions seems to be the standard M.O. I also don't like liver pate (that someone snuck onto crackers and I didn't know what it was until I took a bite...it was a lot of effort not to gag and to manage to politely swallow), and I'm not sure if liverwurst is actually made with liver, but I can't stand that either (tasted a lot like the pate). There are some foods that I just don't like much, but can eat them if they are served to me, so I'm open to new preparation methods of those, but liver is in the category of things I find absolutely vile. I can't imagine it being at all redeemable. :yuck:
Oh, if you don't even like pate, it could be that you are sensitive to the "liver" taste. There is a bitter flavor. Also, liver can have a "grainy" texture on the tongue. I think I eat liver just for the onions. :redface:

It's funny because eating liver was once thought to be healthy, but isn't it now considered to contain a lot of toxins and not so good for you? Or is that a fallacy?

My first husband's brother's wife's mother was Jewish and had the best recipe for chopped chicken livers in the world. She also taught me how to make the world's best cole slaw and I taught her how to make the world's best potato salad. We should have opened a deli. :biggrin:

yomamma said:
Stop whining because we stole mac's idea and made it better. Now mac has surrendered! Microsoft software for all macs! bwahaha!
You have a pretty screwy idea of 'better'. My boss gave me her old 900mHz Pentium 4 machine, and all I use it for is to run my watch software and a couple of games. This G3 at 233mHz puts it absolutely to shame for speed of actually doing something useful. It's twice as fast on Excel or Word. I have no way to compare Photoshop, because the PC doesn't have it, but it's damned fast (loads and opens Photoshop 6 in 7 seconds). :approve:
And if you call a dual-processor 2.7mHz G5 Power Mac 'surrendering', you should seriously consider getting professional care. :tongue:

Moonbear said:
I'm not sure if liverwurst is actually made with liver, but I can't stand that either (tasted a lot like the pate).
'Wurst' pretty much just means 'sausage'. If it actually says 'liverwurst' on the package, it probably is liver. There are lots that look and are packaged the same, though, such as knockwurst and bratwurst.

Danger said:
You have a pretty screwy idea of 'better'. My boss gave me her old 900mHz Pentium 4 machine, and all I use it for is to run my watch software and a couple of games. This G3 at 233mHz puts it absolutely to shame for speed of actually doing something useful. It's twice as fast on Excel or Word. I have no way to compare Photoshop, because the PC doesn't have it, but it's damned fast (loads and opens Photoshop 6 in 7 seconds). :approve:
And if you call a dual-processor 2.7mHz G5 Power Mac 'surrendering', you should seriously consider getting professional care. :tongue:

'Wurst' pretty much just means 'sausage'. If it actually says 'liverwurst' on the package, it probably is liver. There are lots that look and are packaged the same, though, such as knockwurst and bratwurst.
What kind of mac do you have??!

Evo said:
It has to be sliced very thin and coated with seasoned flour, then I pan fry it with tons of thinly sliced onions that have been caramelized with bacon. Oooh, I need to go make some! :tongue2:
MARRY ME! RIGHT NOW! I love liver and onions, with lots of nice rubbery bacon.

Moonbear said:
I'm not sure if liverwurst is actually made with liver, but I can't stand that either (tasted a lot like the pate).

Danger said:
MARRY ME! RIGHT NOW! I love liver and onions, with lots of nice rubbery bacon.
Hey, you're still in the running, you have that basement corner that is quite appealing. :smile:

I love braunsweiger with creamcheese. On a soft, chewy bagel or crusty italian bread, depending on the mood. A glass of good wine and...heaven.

I LOVE rillets, made from duck. The only place outside of France I've had decent rillets was at the Brasserie in Bennington, VT. Anyone else know where I can get good duck rillets in the US..Also, I want to go to another oyster roast and crab feast on the Chesapeke bay like I used to after lightning class sailing or Spinnaker sailing at Annapolis. Night sailing the Chesapeke, completely keeled over with a full moon, the speed we'd get could outrun a stinkpot. :biggrin: Or the coconut bread served in the Canterbury Inn by the big walk in fireplace. So many excellent places.

Evo said:
Hey, you're still in the running, you have that basement corner that is quite appealing. :smile:
Glad to hear it. I figured for sure that by now one or more of these young dudely guys would have taken the hope out of it. :!)

Evo said:
I LOVE rillets, made from duck.
Alright, I looked that up in my Funk & Wagnalls and came up empty. :confused: The rest of that scenario sounds pretty good, except for the crab. (Yeah... I know, but I'm allergic remember. I'll happily feed them to you, but they're off limits for me.:frown: )

Is it a coincidence that the McDonalds thread is running neck and neck with "the greatest tragedy in human history" thread?

Please ponder. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Is it a coincidence that the McDonalds thread is running neck and neck with "the greatest tragedy in human history" thread?

Please ponder. :biggrin:
I don't think it's a coincidence.

Huckleberry said:
I don't think it's a coincidence.
Right. They're joined at the hip.

Danger said:
Right. They're joined at the hip.

mmmm... hip...

anyways, i read this whole thread (and that tragedy thread... you guys make it awful hard to lurk and still keep up with trendy threads...) and i saw that movie super size me. I think the most profound thing in the movie was how he threw up after that first supersize meal. Frankly, they're WAY too big. mcdonalds definately knew it was causing people issues when it actually gave out gallons of soda and tons of fries with a big greesy cheeseburger. They've gotten rid of the "super size" now though, so I'm happier with them.

Personally... i prefer taco bell over a burger joint any day. c'mon people, think outside the bun!

i also don't like liver, sausage is ok, and don't knock finger until you've tried it... (personally, i prefer toes though... )

Gale17 said:
Personally... i prefer taco bell over a burger joint any day. c'mon people, think outside the bun!

Ah, Taco Hell! :rofl: I do once in a while get cravings for that. No idea why. I'm always hungry again soon after eating there...hmm...just what do they use to season those tacos?

and don't knock finger until you've tried it... (personally, i prefer toes though... )
:rofl: :rofl:

Evo said:
I LOVE rillets, made from duck. The only place outside of France I've had decent rillets was at the Brasserie in Bennington, VT. Anyone else know where I can get good duck rillets in the US...

Great stuff Evo, there is a place in Albany, NY that makes a wood-fired pizza with duck rillet on it, superb :tongue2: . You know you could always make your own...duck confit can be purchased already prepared and packed in the fat, or go all the way and start from whole fresh duck.

I found this and thought you might like it: Perigourdine Salad - walnuts, foie gras, duck carpaccio, rillettes and lardons all on top of a few lettuce leaves. I like how they just throw in a "few lettuce" leaves to justify the salad classification :biggrin: . Hey, speaking of French food, did you find anything on those frog sites?

I found the canned haggis! Get on over to http://www.caledoniankitchen.com/catalog/ [Broken] and order up some. There's even a vegetarian version, although "vegetarian haggis" seems like a heck of an oxymoron.

Unfortunately, the haggis chips aren't available in the US :grumpy: , but you an find 'em back home in Scotland. Go to http://www.standrewssweetco.co.uk/crisps.htm [Broken] and don't forget to try the smoked salmon crisps too. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wendy's finger-donor identified

hitssquad said:
The finger doner has still not been discovered. Wendy's has doubled it's finger-origin-information reward to $100,000.
news.google.com/news?q=finger+wendy%27s+reward
The Wendy's finger-donor has just now been found.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-051805finger_lat,0,7203232.story?coll=la-home-headlines [Broken]

--
4:00 PM PDT, May 18, 2005 latimes.com : California

Finger in Wendy's Chili Was Sold to Pay Debt
By Donna Horowitz, Special to The Times

SAN JOSE — Police today said the man whose finger was allegedly planted in a bowl of chili as a scheme to exact money from the Wendy's restaurant chain sold it to cover a $50 debt.

Santa Clara County Deputy Dist. Atty. David Boyd said the man, identified in reports as Brian Paul Rossiter, 36, of Las Vegas, is not a suspect.

"He is cooperating with law enforcement. We don't have any reason to believe he's been involved," said Boyd.

Today's court events rounded out the official account of the mystery of the case of the missing digit by answering the remaining questions — whose finger was found in the chili, and why.
--

Last edited by a moderator:
god, finally

Back