Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone here follow cricket?

1. Mar 12, 2006 #1

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does anyone here follow cricket?

There are a couple of interesting matches going on.
    Australia just set a new world record for the highest score in an international ODI. 434 in 50 overs is phenomenal!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/fds/hi/statistics/cricket/scorecards/2006/3/12271/html/scorecard.stm

The India - England test match is interestingly poised right now, with Kumble bowling really well.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4797224.stm

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I've never seen the point in watching men rubbing their crotches in public with a dumb ball.

4. Mar 12, 2006 #3

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They usually have a handkerchief or piece of cloth tucked in to the side of their pants to wipe the ball and keep one side shining for swing.

Besides, I'm suprised you don't like watching cricket arildno.

5. Mar 12, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Oh, so they're into the handkerchief custom, too?
    I didn't know that.

6. Mar 12, 2006 #5
    I managed to catch glimpses of the last couple of overs of the Aussie innings while watching Alonso and Schumi fight for top position at Baharain.

7. Mar 12, 2006 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Why should I be interested in watching men ambling about in baggy pants? :confused:

8. Mar 12, 2006 #7

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I only thought that you liked watching men play athletic games. I seem to remember you liking football, especially the spanish league. I guess I was wrong.

South Africa have made a very strong start. Who knows, maybe they can pull it off!

9. Mar 12, 2006 #8
    I heard the commentator mention that they had to win this for them to have any chance at winning the series...so they better make runs fast.

10. Mar 12, 2006 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

11. Mar 12, 2006 #10
    WOO HOO!! South Africa have posted the highest ever score in one day cricket :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

438/9 after 49.5 overs

What a match it would have been to see...I wish I had foxtel :frown:

12. Mar 12, 2006 #11

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

An amazing match! That has to be the best ODI ever played!

13. Mar 12, 2006 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Holy cow ! Nothing short of amazing !

14. Mar 12, 2006 #13

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

"The Rules of Cricket as Explained to a foreign visitor

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in, goes out, and when he's out, he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When both sides have been in and out including the not-outs, that's the end of the game.
    " :rofl:

Basically, there is a lot of running.

15. Mar 12, 2006 #14
    Never before have I seen the rules of Cricket explained so lucidly. :approve: :rofl:

16. Mar 12, 2006 #15

jimmy p

Gold Member

The last time I watched cricket was the recent Ashes series. What a series that was. I was never one to be excited about cricket but I was glued to the screen! The good thing about working in a bookies is that sport is always on.

17. Mar 12, 2006 #16

ranger

Gold Member

Any of you guys know where to see matches on the internet? I'm dying to see a ODI. I may have to change my cable company. I cant afford to miss the up coming world cup in the Caribbean.

Is Shoaib Akhtar still one of the fastest bowlers? Is he even still playing? I really need to get up-to-date with this suff.

18. Mar 13, 2006 #17

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think that you can legally watch live cricket for free over the net, due to broadcasting contracts. For example the Board of Control for Cricket in India have sold the global broadcast rights for the next four years for £352 million to Nimbus Communications.

You might be able to listen to some cricket discussions and reports through BBC radio. Try the audio and video link here.

And as for Shoaib Akhtar, there was a recent news article which said that he has gone missing and no one knows his current location.

http://www.htcricket.com/htcricket/14_1648069.htm

19. Mar 13, 2006 #18
    The recent match was between India and England was being played ONE KILOMETRE from my house and can you believe it that I had to miss it due to my stupid CBSE exams. Can't these people rearrange either exams or matches. :)
    But I watched the last 10 overs of the SA match and it feels real good, even if I would have to miss questions (luckily I missed nothing). It was a real treat watching the match. It would be good to investigate how two teams could cross 400. Maybe the pitch was created specially for this thing - Hey let's break some records, long time SL has held the 398 record. Only NZ came near it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?