Does anyone here play music?

• Thread starter Indeed
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Does anyone here play a musical instrument? For how long have you been playing and why?

Answers and Replies

Yes, since I was 8, because my mother made me :smile: Although if I ever get back into it I would want to compose music rather than just play it.

piano for about 2 years, guitar and bass guitar for a year

used to mess with recording stuff since i was a little boy... was a disc jockey for 4 years in HS

made my own electronica mixes for around 2-3 years in HS as well

i dont really like "playing" music in terms of copying other peoples stuff though... i like making my own stuff

Cello for 2 years, learning mandolin, can play some guitar.

turbo
Gold Member
Trumpet, baritone and French horn (starting in HS) since about 3rd-4th grade. Guitar (rock and blues mostly) through my junior HS-HS years, including a LOT of earning power in college (frat parties mostly).

been playing piano for 1.5 years and guitar for 3 years. i'm mostly interested in folk and classical sounding music. a thing about music i find fascinating is sight reading. i am not excellent at it but i practice every day. the fact that you can just look at a piece and play it right away is amazing, my favorite baroque composer is bach. i also enjoy chopin

:rofl:Crystally clear.. I am practicing writing songs !

I have been learning notes for years.

Last edited:
i'm also into blues/folk/classical.

I learned to play the recorder in fourth grade, but didnt pursue it. Now I've been playing the guitar for about 8 months and just got accepted into a band! In fact, we had our first jam session yesterday!

Classical and Flemanco Guitar for 2+ years. Piano and Violin more recently.

chaos, where did you grow up? Because we had to learn recorder in fourth grade as well.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
Guitar and Piano - about 5 years (learned piano when I was real young, but never picked it up until I started playing guitar and learned scales and chords and could just improvise instead of reading music... I'm very slow at reading music, but I believe in tonal centers, you can do whatever you want in between them.)

I haven't played solid for two years now, but I miss it. Trying to get going on it again starting tomorrow actually. Got an old 16 track recorder, a friend that plays bass, and a small collection of emotional stress to outlet.

Edit: Styles:

When I first started, I didn't want a genre or a style (generic feeling for someone who writes/improvs their own music probably). But I identified (without any real training) with classical, blues, flamenco, and classic rock. I started to get into harder rock and metal before I took up physics (at which point I gradually lost touch with my guitar).

On piano I play dirges and lots of harmonic minor stuff.

Last edited:
chaos, where did you grow up? Because we had to learn recorder in fourth grade as well.
I was in Romania in fourth grade (The American School of Bucharest), what about you?

When I first started, I didn't want a genre or a style (generic feeling for someone who writes/improvs their own music probably). But I identified (without any real training) with classical, blues, flamenco, and classic rock. I started to get into harder rock and metal before I took up physics (at which point I gradually lost touch with my guitar).
Me too, except I really started playing once I got into college. I wasn't as serious about it in school.

guitar 3 years, violin 9 years and piano off and on for about 6 years but not very good, bass guitar about 6 months.

Podunk little meth capital, Farmington, New Mexico 87401. Interesting, it must be fairly standard

Yeah, just may be. It would really be something to meet someone from any one of my schools though...

Were your parents diplomats or something like that?

No. My dad's got a job as the ceo of temco in romania. We shifted there and after a year he didnt like the education there, so I got bumped to boarding which was too far for him so again I was sent to budapest, Hungary for two years, then again a year in romania and then finally Ive been in India for the last four years...

Wow. Some people get to grow up in the coolest places. (I mean, even if its not the coolest, its different, so you get a different perspective.)