Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone here play music?

1. Jun 14, 2008 #1
    Does anyone here play a musical instrument? For how long have you been playing and why?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Yes, since I was 8, because my mother made me :smile: Although if I ever get back into it I would want to compose music rather than just play it.
  4. Jun 14, 2008 #3
    piano for about 2 years, guitar and bass guitar for a year

used to mess with recording stuff since i was a little boy... was a disc jockey for 4 years in HS

made my own electronica mixes for around 2-3 years in HS as well

i dont really like "playing" music in terms of copying other peoples stuff though... i like making my own stuff
  5. Jun 14, 2008 #4
    Cello for 2 years, learning mandolin, can play some guitar.
  6. Jun 14, 2008 #5

Gold Member

Trumpet, baritone and French horn (starting in HS) since about 3rd-4th grade. Guitar (rock and blues mostly) through my junior HS-HS years, including a LOT of earning power in college (frat parties mostly).
  7. Jun 14, 2008 #6
    been playing piano for 1.5 years and guitar for 3 years. i'm mostly interested in folk and classical sounding music. a thing about music i find fascinating is sight reading. i am not excellent at it but i practice every day. the fact that you can just look at a piece and play it right away is amazing, my favorite baroque composer is bach. i also enjoy chopin
  8. Jun 14, 2008 #7
    :rofl:Crystally clear.. I am practicing writing songs !

I have been learning notes for years.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  9. Jun 14, 2008 #8
    i'm also into blues/folk/classical.
  10. Jun 15, 2008 #9
    I learned to play the recorder in fourth grade, but didnt pursue it. Now I've been playing the guitar for about 8 months and just got accepted into a band! In fact, we had our first jam session yesterday!
  11. Jun 15, 2008 #10
    Classical and Flemanco Guitar for 2+ years. Piano and Violin more recently.
  12. Jun 15, 2008 #11
    chaos, where did you grow up? Because we had to learn recorder in fourth grade as well.
  13. Jun 16, 2008 #12

Gold Member

Guitar and Piano - about 5 years (learned piano when I was real young, but never picked it up until I started playing guitar and learned scales and chords and could just improvise instead of reading music... I'm very slow at reading music, but I believe in tonal centers, you can do whatever you want in between them.)

I haven't played solid for two years now, but I miss it. Trying to get going on it again starting tomorrow actually. Got an old 16 track recorder, a friend that plays bass, and a small collection of emotional stress to outlet.

Edit: Styles:

When I first started, I didn't want a genre or a style (generic feeling for someone who writes/improvs their own music probably). But I identified (without any real training) with classical, blues, flamenco, and classic rock. I started to get into harder rock and metal before I took up physics (at which point I gradually lost touch with my guitar).

On piano I play dirges and lots of harmonic minor stuff.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  14. Jun 16, 2008 #13
    I was in Romania in fourth grade (The American School of Bucharest), what about you?
  15. Jun 16, 2008 #14
    Me too, except I really started playing once I got into college. I wasn't as serious about it in school.
  16. Jun 16, 2008 #15
    guitar 3 years, violin 9 years and piano off and on for about 6 years but not very good, bass guitar about 6 months.
  17. Jun 16, 2008 #16
    Podunk little meth capital, Farmington, New Mexico 87401. Interesting, it must be fairly standard
  18. Jun 17, 2008 #17
    Yeah, just may be. It would really be something to meet someone from any one of my schools though...
  19. Jun 17, 2008 #18
    Were your parents diplomats or something like that?
  20. Jun 18, 2008 #19
    No. My dad's got a job as the ceo of temco in romania. We shifted there and after a year he didnt like the education there, so I got bumped to boarding which was too far for him so again I was sent to budapest, Hungary for two years, then again a year in romania and then finally Ive been in India for the last four years...
  21. Jun 18, 2008 #20
    Wow. Some people get to grow up in the coolest places. (I mean, even if its not the coolest, its different, so you get a different perspective.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?