Unleashing the Power of Nanocomputers: The Potential of Smart Dust Technology

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magic
In summary: So while your thinking "nanocomputers" you're really thinking "Smart Dust". In Summary, Smart Dust is a type of computer that can move and sense its environment.
Gale
Does anyone know real magic? i mean physical magic. something very obvious, not just the subtle kind. Not, that subtle magic isn't as great, pagan magics i mean mostly being that's about the only magics i can think of, but I'm looking for something pretty apparent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give an example of what would satisfy your request?
Why do you think such a thing exists?

an example would be something like... being able to conjure something... or making things levitate... i dunno, i suppose i mean the really fantasical kind of magic that is probably not at all possible. But it's worth a try to ask...

And as for knowing it exists... well i have a weird be belief that anything imagined can be created... if not this universe, at least some other dimension. Everything we imagine here is happening somewhere esle... what they imagine in other universes... occurs here.

Originally posted by Gale17
an example would be something like... being able to conjure something... or making things levitate... i dunno, i suppose i mean the really fantasical kind of magic that is probably not at all possible. But it's worth a try to ask...

Any sufficiently advanced technology is magic. Maybe all such notions really come down to science in the end...for someone? By the standards of 200 years past, we make magic daily.

And as for knowing it exists... well i have a weird be belief that anything imagined can be created... if not this universe, at least some other dimension. Everything we imagine here is happening somewhere esle... what they imagine in other universes... occurs here.

I imagine that this is true and not.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is magic. Maybe all such notions really come down to science in the end...for someone? By the standards of 200 years past, we make magic daily.

do you suppose then that years from now our technology will be so advanced that anything imaginable would be possible?

Originally posted by Gale17
do you suppose then that years from now our technology will be so advanced that anything imaginable would be possible?

If we survive long enough and if we continue as a technological species, then nearly anything. IMO we have only begun to realize our full potential.

Consider a technology envisioned by Vernor Vinge in his novel "A Deepness in the Sky". You have nanocomputers the size of dust grains. They float in the air all around you and are invisible, just as dust grains are. They communicate with each other and accept input from you, partly in the form of coded "passes" with your hands. They can invoke high energy technology to build (seemingly instantly) all kinds of things, and destroy them and play all kinds of games with the environment. It's better than Harry Potter, and it's all "technology".

That would be cool, i suppose it would be similar too a holodeck in star trek, always wanted one of them.

Consider a technology envisioned by Vernor Vinge in his novel "A Deepness in the Sky". You have nanocomputers the size of dust grains. They float in the air all around you and are invisible, just as dust grains are. They communicate with each other and accept input from you, partly in the form of coded "passes" with your hands. They can invoke high energy technology to build (seemingly instantly) all kinds of things, and destroy them and play all kinds of games with the environment. It's better than Harry Potter, and it's all "technology".

Well i don't know if anything can be better than Hp, quidditch and house elves and all those other cool thingies... but yeah, that would be pretty neat. In my physics class we talked about a future ability to just rearange atoms, you could turn just plain air into cheeseburgers just by tweeking some electrons and nuetrons. But dust computers, that even more cool. I wonder if by the time we reach that technology if we'd have AI. Imagine little computers that you can't see with the ability to think and send messages to all their little friends... creepy

Originally posted by selfAdjoint

Michio Kaku claims that we are working on "Smart Dust" for the military right now. This would be used to salt a battle field and then to retrieve real time data for every foot print and wheel track made on the field.

1. What is real magic?

Real magic is often defined as the use of supernatural or mystical forces to manipulate the natural world. It is commonly associated with practices such as witchcraft, sorcery, and divination. However, from a scientific perspective, there is no evidence to support the existence of real magic.

2. Can anyone learn real magic?

No, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that anyone can learn or possess the ability to perform real magic. Many people may claim to have special powers or knowledge, but these claims have not been verified through scientific experimentation.

3. Are there any scientific explanations for magical phenomena?

While there may not be any scientific evidence for the existence of real magic, many seemingly magical phenomena can be explained through science. For example, illusions and sleight of hand tricks can create the illusion of magic, but they are actually based on scientific principles of perception and misdirection.

4. Is there a difference between real magic and stage magic?

Yes, there is a clear distinction between real magic and stage magic. Stage magic, also known as magic tricks, is a performance art that uses sleight of hand, misdirection, and other techniques to create the illusion of magic. Real magic, on the other hand, is often associated with supernatural or mystical forces and has no scientific explanation.

5. Why do some people believe in real magic?

Belief in real magic may stem from cultural or religious beliefs, personal experiences, or a desire for something beyond the natural world. Additionally, the media often portrays magic in a sensationalized manner, which can contribute to the belief that it is real. However, as a scientist, it is important to rely on empirical evidence and critical thinking rather than belief or superstition.