Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone know the name?

1. Mar 23, 2006 #1

Does anyone know the name of this biological theory, it would help me out very much as I really need to know but I can't find any information about it, thanks very much for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2006 #2
    Evolution theory?
    Common descent?
  4. Mar 23, 2006 #3
    Thanks for the help so far guys but Im not 100% sure on anything yet.

If this helps I think, I think this man proposed the idea.

5. Mar 23, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Stephen Jay Gould
    His famous theory is Punctuated Equilibrium, which pertains to the theory of evolution with respect to the rate of speciation.

I don't know how your first link applies to all this other than it suggesting evolution in general.
  6. Mar 23, 2006 #5
    Ah, thanks very much for the help, as soon as I saw the name Stephen Jay Gould I remembered thanks so much.
  7. Mar 23, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The original image would just demonstrate systematics as a way of representing species relatedness, i.e., an evolutionary "tree."
  8. Mar 23, 2006 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The diagram shows just a conceptual inheritance tree, with succession of species (or other levels) going upward on the vertical axis and morphology (that is to say features of individual species) spread out horizontally. By itself it doesn't represent a theory; it's just a schematic for representing things.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?