What is the Conceptual Inheritance Tree in Biology?

• Thread starter JoKuffour
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a biological theory that the person is trying to identify. Suggestions are made for evolution theory and common descent, but the person is unsure. Another person mentions Stephen Jay Gould and his famous theory of punctuated equilibrium. The original image is explained as a way to represent species relatedness, but not a theory itself. The conversation ends with the person thanking for the help and remembering the theory mentioned.
JoKuffour
Hello,

Does anyone know the name of this biological theory, it would help me out very much as I really need to know but I can't find any information about it, thanks very much for any help.

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/6521/4b1zz.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Evolution theory?
Common descent?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Jay_Gould"
His famous theory is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuated_equilibrium" , which pertains to the theory of evolution with respect to the rate of speciation.

I don't know how your first link applies to all this other than it suggesting evolution in general.

Ah, thanks very much for the help, as soon as I saw the name Stephen Jay Gould I remembered thanks so much.

The original image would just demonstrate systematics as a way of representing species relatedness, i.e., an evolutionary "tree."

The diagram shows just a conceptual inheritance tree, with succession of species (or other levels) going upward on the vertical axis and morphology (that is to say features of individual species) spread out horizontally. By itself it doesn't represent a theory; it's just a schematic for representing things.

1. What does "Does anyone know the name?" mean?

This phrase is typically used when someone is trying to identify a person, place, or object that they are unfamiliar with or cannot remember.

2. Why do people say "Does anyone know the name?"

People say this phrase because they are seeking information or assistance in identifying something or someone.

3. Is there a specific name that people are trying to find?

This phrase can refer to any type of name, such as a person's name, the name of a place, or the name of an object.

4. What types of situations would someone use the phrase "Does anyone know the name?"

This phrase can be used in a variety of situations, such as when someone is trying to remember the name of a song, when they are trying to identify a person in a photo, or when they are trying to find the name of a restaurant they visited.

5. How can someone find out the name if no one knows it?

In some cases, it may be difficult to find out the name if no one knows it. However, some options for finding the name could include doing research or asking for help from others who may have more knowledge or information.