Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone know?

1. Dec 10, 2003 #1
    ok, i was talking to a friend who lives on a military base. There is only one internet option, the military connection. It is supposed to go at 56k but it actually runs about 14k, yea... I know, its sad, mostly because I used to live there too and I had that connection as well. Anyway, when I was talking to my friend he said he knew a person who was able to let my friend connect to his connection. I would like to hook up a friend or two who lives there but I don't know how. Does anyone have any idea how to let someone connect to my connection?

oh, the connection my friend is using is behind a firewall and a proxy server (which could make things a bit more difficult).

Any help or lead in the right direction would be very much appreciated. Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus

yes, it is possible for your friend to use your internet connection, but it isn't going to speed up his modem. It is a hardware limitation and you can't do anything about it. The only reason you would want to let someone use your net connection is to get around some form of censorship or blocking software on another person's network.

If your still interested you might want to look into virtual private networks (VPN).
  4. Dec 10, 2003 #3
    thank you, I know it isn't a hardware limitation. its because the army only has so much bandwidth and they use most of it doing stuff on the base, whatever is left over is shared with 2,500 people who want to use the net. Things tend to go slow because of this. Thanks again
  5. Dec 10, 2003 #4
    ok, I looked at some VPNs but I don't believe thats what I'm looking for .I could be wrong, I'm way over my head. Basically what I want to do is let someone half way accross the world connect to my internet connection and be able to use that as their internet connection.
  6. Dec 11, 2003 #5

Staff: Mentor

If the army only allows a certain physical connection, then thats all he gets. Its a hardware issue that you can't get around. There is only one set of wires there.

It would help explain it to you though if you could give us some technical info about his connection, for example, does he use a modem or a network card?
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2003
  7. Dec 11, 2003 #6
    Its like a normal internet connection with a 56k modem (no lan involved). You dial up just like a modem connection too. The only difference is that everything it is sent through a proxy server and a firewall. I know it can be done since someone else has already done it.

If you have no idea what I am talking about (mostly because I don't really know what I'm talking about) then could someone send me some places to get some good tunnels?
  8. Dec 12, 2003 #7
    I give up, someone just delete this thread please.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?