Does anyone watch the MASH series?

In summary, the conversation discusses the popular TV show MASH and its impact on the speakers. They express their enjoyment of the show and how they base their humor on one of the main characters, Hawkeye. They also mention a connection to physics through one of the actors and their fear of encouraging a stalker. They conclude by praising the show and wishing for more quality shows on TV.
jimmy p
Gold Member
Does anyone watch the MASH series? It's really good. I was quite sad tonight because I have watched two episodes a night (even if they were repeats) and today I watched the series finale. Pretty moving stuff.

Anyway it is a quality series so if you have never seen it before, get watching. I think Hawkeye is great, I even base some of my humour on his and I have a tendency to wear my dressing gown all the time at home. I haven't gone far enough to actually get a side parting like his but I'm getting the grey hairs sprouting around (unintentionally)...what a way to go, I'm sure I'll be silver by the time I'm 25!

Physics news on Phys.org
I like the show. My step-dad likes it to.

So I'd watch it. Except I'm really afraid of encouraging my step-dad too much... He's exhibited enough stalker tendencies as it is and I don't want any more popping up.

cookiemonster

There was a time during the early eighties, right after the show ended. that you could watch reruns of MASH practically non-stop starting at 3 in the afternoon. THis was before cable was everywhere. SOme MASH junkies had every episode memorized and would quiz each other with short lines like: "If you don't like our RAD-io, then get off our PAT-io." TO which the response was "FAT-io."

I guess I was one of those junkies.

Connection to physics: Alan Alda (Hawkeye) just recently played the part of Richard Feynman in the broadway production "QED." Evidently he was a perfect Feynmnan.

Lol actually, reading one of Feynmann's books I can see that real well!

I really like M*A*S*H, quality stuff. If only I could find new quality shows on tv...

1. Is the MASH series still popular today?

Yes, the MASH series continues to have a dedicated fan base and remains a popular show that is often referenced and streamed on various platforms.

2. How historically accurate is the MASH series?

The MASH series is based on real experiences of medical personnel during the Korean War, but it also takes creative liberties for entertainment purposes. Overall, it provides a fairly accurate representation of the time period and the realities of war.

3. Why did the MASH series end?

The MASH series ended after 11 seasons because the creators felt that the show had run its course and they wanted to end it on a high note. Additionally, many of the main actors were ready to move on to other projects.

4. Are there any real-life MASH units still in operation?

Yes, MASH units are still used by the military today, although they are now referred to as "Combat Support Hospitals" (CSH). They provide similar medical services as portrayed in the MASH series.

5. What impact did the MASH series have on the medical profession?

The MASH series helped to bring attention to the challenges and sacrifices of medical personnel during war and helped to humanize them in the eyes of the public. It also inspired many people to pursue careers in the medical field.