Writing Poetry & Rap: Express Your Ideas & Emotions

• Thread starter Zygotic Embryo
  • Start date
In summary: The Zoobyshoe era was when people were posting poems in the Ask A Stupid Quetion thread. I'm not sure what you're trying to ask. Are you looking for a poem to share? If so, I suggest you post one in a poetry forum where people will be more likely to appreciate it. As for writing plays, that's really interesting. I've never heard of that before. Do you have a link to a blog or website where I can read more about it?
Zygotic Embryo
There ideas or theory's in a poetical or rap-like, verse?

Or just write poems in general

It's a good habit to get into, it's my way of venting.

Physics news on Phys.org
How is it possible hat you have zero posts?

No, I wish I could write at all. I do remember a song my calculus teacher taught my class about the quadric formula.

theCandyman said:

Posts in this forum don't count towards post count.

theCandyman said:
I was going to respond last night. I spent about an hour trying to find a thread that I got involved in briefly when I first came aboard just over a month ago, but no luck. It was about this very subject, but I can't remember who started it, or the title, or even which forum it was in. (I think it was here, because it doesn't really seem suitable for GP, and they're the only places I've been.) I'll keep looking in my spare time and let you know if I find it. In the meantime, Waste of O2 is a musician. Maybe he writes too.
Anyhow, I do write, but not that kind of stuff. I'm more of a solid prose kinda guy. :smile:

I am interested in writing rap lyrics for fun, but I have been to busy to even begin trying.

Zygotic Embryo said:
There ideas or theory's in a poetical or rap-like, verse?

Or just write poems in general

It's a good habit to get into, it's my way of venting.

Nope, and if you start posting in rhymes or verse on those topics, I'm going to have to beat you with a wet noodle! :tongue: I don't mean if you write poetry and want to share it :smile:, but every once in a while we get someone who tries to post everything in verse in one of the science forums, and it's really annoying. :grumpy:

I write some poetry, some lyrics, but I haven't tried rap.

I write childrens short stories. The one I am writing now is called Luna Canine, lol, a dog that can jump to the moon. Of course she saves our planet by hooking her teeth into the rings of Saturn and kicking the death star out of harms way.

Dayle Record sometimes posts her views in verse.

but every once in a while we get someone who tries to post everything in verse in one of the science forums, and it's really annoying.
What would make that annoying? Sounds like just a break from custom.

I would like to be a writer. Problem is I'm not very good at it.

I write when I find the time, which is not very often; however, when I write, I'm not that terrible.

I've always stuck to Fantasy writing about Elves and other magical creatures. I also write poetry occasionally. I'm thinking of moving into futuristic Fantasy, though.

I write whenever I have time to do it, which translates into not enough time at all. :cry:
As for what I write there's an awful lot of things, some of which I've posted in my journal if anyone's intensely curious.

Huckleberry said:
I would like to be a writer. Problem is I'm not very good at it.
"You don't write because you want to say something, you write because you have something to say."
-- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Smurf said:
"You don't write because you want to say something, you write because you have something to say."
-- F. Scott Fitzgerald

That makes sense in a strange way. I was kidding mostly, but there is always the fear that nobody will care to read what I have written. Or that their reaction would be extremely negative and not constructive. Or that I like to start sentences with contractions. You know, that sort of thing.

Huck

Limericks were in vogue here for a while, mainly during the Zoobyshoe era when the 'Ask A Stupid Quetion' thread was hot.

... You give names to PF eras? Wow..

I also write plays. I am currently adapting for the stage a novel about a group of wounded men in the US Civil War.

I usually write a few poems when I get upset. It seems to be the best way I can accurately express what I am feeling at that particular time. It certainly is more descriptive than just saying "confused" (which I am more often than not). I already have one in my journal, but I plan on expanding that number in the future.

Though I find it slightly odd that I can't write poetry while rational.. doesn't come out right. I have to be in some sort of mood or thought pattern in the first place.

Artman said:
I also write plays. I am currently adapting for the stage a novel about a group of wounded men in the US Civil War.
Good on ya, mate. Plays are a bugger. I've done a few, and found that sticking to comedy is the only way that I can do a decent job. All of those restrictions! Facing the audience to speak or react, limited props and effects, no subtle movements that could be missed, no skipping locations... I'll stick to prose and screenplays, thank you, or even better... thread posts! :biggrin:

Danger said:
Good on ya, mate. Plays are a bugger. I've done a few, and found that sticking to comedy is the only way that I can do a decent job. All of those restrictions! Facing the audience to speak or react, limited props and effects, no subtle movements that could be missed, no skipping locations... I'll stick to prose and screenplays, thank you, or even better... thread posts! :biggrin:
I have a pretty good feel for dialog, and some good ideas to overcome staging limitations. The man who wrote the book I am adapting is a friend of mine. He is a good writer, but not great at playwriting, so he asked me to work on the play with him. I've written quite a few and he likes my style. Usually comedy, but often drama with comic relief.

motai said:
I usually write a few poems when I get upset. It seems to be the best way I can accurately express what I am feeling at that particular time. It certainly is more descriptive than just saying "confused" (which I am more often than not). I already have one in my journal, but I plan on expanding that number in the future.

Though I find it slightly odd that I can't write poetry while rational.. doesn't come out right. I have to be in some sort of mood or thought pattern in the first place.

Same for me. I used to write poetry quite a bit, in many cases just because I needed to unload some emotions and the process of expressing them on paper turned out to be cathartic. To that end, whenever I was depressed or melancholy or somesuch the poem just seemed to write itself, whereas I found it much more difficult to express emotions like happiness or joy. I haven't written anything in a long time, though, in large part because I've settled down a lot since my younger days.

No one writes theories in a poetic or rap-like verse,
But if more did, physics would be more diverse.
Some of us write poems in general,
Because we have to vent anger from herpes of the gential.

15 seconds!? What?! Boom son!

Last edited:
Only you mack, only you.

I write, everyday. My name is, Stephen King.

Huckleberry said:
there is always the fear that nobody will care to read what I have written. Or that their reaction would be extremely negative and not constructive. Or that I like to start sentences with contractions. You know, that sort of thing.

Huck
As a former semi-pro writer, and a current avid GD post reader, I can honestly tell you that I very much enjoy your writing (even when it's aimed at me :tongue: ). You have a very good feel for the language as a means of communication as opposed to a stage to show off your vocabulary. And if your little story about the painted Admiral is indicative of your experiences, you could probably make a decent book out of them. :biggrin:
Also, anybody who criticizes without it being constructive criticism has no business offering an opinion.

Wa ho! I think not.

Crticizing is very important and people should do it. Unless there's too many saying the same thing, because Jesus! We get the idea! Or unless someone is saying it over and over and doesn't get the idea that A: We already fixed it or B: We're working on it or C: Its really annoying, above all things or D: You're costing us money or E: SHUT UP!

Danger said:
Also, anybody who criticizes without it being constructive criticism has no business offering an opinion.
Mk said:
Wa ho! I think not.

Crticizing is very important and people should do it. Unless there's too many saying the same thing, because Jesus! We get the idea! Or unless someone is saying it over and over and doesn't get the idea that A: We already fixed it or B: We're working on it or C: Its really annoying, above all things or D: You're costing us money or E: SHUT UP!
I'm tempted to make an exception in your case, but I don't have time to cover it all. :tongue:

What is the difference between poetry and rap?

Poetry and rap are both forms of artistic expression, but they have distinct differences. Poetry is typically written in verse and focuses on the use of language, imagery, and sound to convey emotions and ideas. Rap, on the other hand, is a form of music that often includes spoken or chanted lyrics over a beat. It often incorporates elements of poetry, but also relies heavily on rhythm and delivery.

How do I come up with ideas for writing poetry and rap?

The best way to come up with ideas for writing poetry and rap is to draw inspiration from your own experiences and emotions. Think about what is important to you, what makes you feel passionate, and what you want to express to others. You can also find inspiration from other poets and rappers, as well as from everyday life, books, and music.

Do I need to have a specific writing style for poetry and rap?

No, there is no one right way to write poetry or rap. The beauty of these forms of expression is that they allow for individual creativity and self-expression. Some people may prefer a more structured and traditional style, while others may prefer to experiment with different techniques and formats. The most important thing is to find a style that feels authentic and comfortable for you.

Can I use profanity in my poetry and rap?

This is ultimately a personal decision and will depend on your own values and the intended audience for your work. Profanity can be used effectively in poetry and rap to emphasize emotions or ideas, but it can also be off-putting to some readers or listeners. If you do decide to use profanity, consider its purpose and whether it adds value to your piece.

How can I improve my skills in writing poetry and rap?

Like any skill, writing poetry and rap takes practice. The more you write, the better you will become. It can also be helpful to read and listen to the work of other poets and rappers, attend workshops or classes, and seek feedback from peers or mentors. Additionally, be open to trying new techniques and styles, and continuously challenge yourself to grow as a writer.