Is AP Considered Equivalent to College Credit?

In summary, the problem involves a 40kg wagon being towed up a hill inclined at 18.5 degrees with a tension of 140N in the tow rope. Neglecting friction, the wagon starts from rest at the bottom of the hill and moves 80m up. Using the formula for final velocity and Newton's second law, it is determined that the wagon will have a final velocity of 23.66 m/s. However, there was an error in the calculation due to not considering the component of the wagon's weight down the slope. This is corrected by setting up a right triangle and using the force of gravity as the hypotenuse and the normal force and the force against the wagon as the other
TheRhinoMan
Did I do this problem right? I didn't use some of the info...

Oh well... if it doesn't, it's moveable. :)

Hello Ladies and Gents,
I'm new on here, and I was wondering if someone could help me with my physics HW; And forgive me if I don't get it right away. :)

Here's the problem...
A 40kg. wagon is towed up a hill inclined at 18.5(degrees) with respect to the horizontal. The tow rope is parallel to the incline and has a tension of 140N in it. Assume that the wagon starts from rest at the botton of the hill and neglect friction. How fast is the wagon going after moving 80m. up the hill?

I tried doing this one, and well...

m=40kg.
delta(x)=80m.
Angle=18.5
Force(net)=140N
vf=?

Just stating the known, and then I...

v(fin)^2=v(ini)^2 + 2a(delta)x
vf^2 = 0 +160a

F(net)=ma
140=40a
a=3.5

in which case...

vf^2= 160(3.5)
vf^2= 560
vf = 23.66

So, that's what I did; I'm sure it's wrong, just because I didn't use the angle.
So... that's my question... what did I do wrong? Or did I do it right?

Thanks a bundle!
P.S. Heheh, I have a whole lot of physics "?"s that I don't understand...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
TheRhinoMan said:

F(net)=ma
140=40a

This where your problem is.
The wagon is on an incline. So the accelerating force isn't 140N.
You have to take away the component of the wagon's weight acting down the slope.

OOOooohhhh...
I see it now, Thanks Fermat!

I called a friend last night, and he was able to help me with this problem... but I didn't understand his reasoning. Now I do; thanks!.

So... Basically, I had to make a right triangle, force of gravity being the hypotenuse (sp?), normal force being the second largest side, and the base (or smallest side) being, essentially, the force reacting against the wagon as it goes up.

The wagon needed to overcome that force and then some in order to accelerate up the hill...
Yay! I think I get it. :) I'll try another one similar to it, and if I still don't get it, I'll be back. :D

Thanks for the help, fermat!

TheRhinoMan

Your setup should look something like in the attachment.

The force acting against the wagon is its component down the slope, i.e. Mg.sin(18.5).
So, the accelerating force is,

F = T - Mg.sin(18.5)

Attachments

• rhinoman.jpg
    rhinoman.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 470

1. What is AP and how does it relate to college?

AP stands for Advanced Placement, which are courses offered in high schools that are designed to be equivalent to introductory college courses. Students can take AP exams at the end of the course to potentially earn college credit.

2. Do colleges accept AP credits?

Yes, many colleges and universities accept AP credits. However, each institution has its own policy on which AP exams they accept and how much credit they award for each exam.

3. Can AP credits be used to fulfill college requirements?

Again, this varies by institution. Some colleges may allow AP credits to fulfill general education requirements, while others may only award elective credit.

4. How do I know if my AP credits will transfer to my chosen college?

You can usually find this information on the college's website or by contacting their admissions office. They should have a list of AP exams they accept and the corresponding credit awarded for each exam.

5. Can I still take AP exams if I'm not enrolled in an AP course?

Yes, you can still sign up to take AP exams even if you did not take the corresponding AP course. However, you may need to self-study and prepare for the exam on your own.