Does causality exist in a block universe?

• Thread starter Dennis Blewett
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Causality
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of causality and how it relates to the concept of space and time. The conclusion is that causality does not exist in the way we traditionally understand it, as all things are interdependent in a four-dimensional continuum. The conversation also touches on the topic of a block universe and the idea that all moments in time already exist. The conversation ends with a note about trolling and the thread being closed.
Dennis Blewett
I have read that if causality exists, then the cause must exist in the past light cone because causes can't go faster than light. However, as an implication of special relativity, space and time are interdependent, leading to a four-dimensional continuum. Since reality is a block universe (block universe theory), multiverse discussions aside, independent objects don't exist: they, too, are interdependent. Thus, there can't be an independent object in a past light cone to effectuate an effect.

Am I right to presume causality does not exist?

No slice of spacetime has independent objects that lead to an effect. All of spacetime is written and all of spacetime is interdependent. No slice of spacetime causes the next moment to come into existence.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dennis Blewett said:
Am I right
No.

Likes russ_watters, topsquark and Bystander
I do not understand the reasoning for your response. To argue no is to claim all things are not interdependent with space and time

Dennis Blewett said:
I do not understand the reasoning for your response.
If causality doesn't exist, how could @Vanadium 50 have a reason for his response to your post?

• Haha
  • Love
Likes russ_watters, DrClaude, DennisN and 3 others
Vanadium 50's post came temporally after my thread creation. But my thread did not cause the post to come into existence. The person's post was already part of reality (part of the spacetime continuum), as per special relativity.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Thread closed temporally for Moderation with something that will be caused pretty soon by your posts...

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, Wrichik Basu, PeroK and 1 other person
Thread will remain closed. OP is stuck in a looping time continuum for 10 days for trolling us. Have a nice day. :smile:

• Love
  • Haha
Likes pinball1970, Wrichik Basu, topsquark and 3 others

1. What is a block universe?

A block universe is a concept in philosophy and physics that suggests that time is an illusion and that the past, present, and future all exist simultaneously. This means that the future is already predetermined and unchangeable, as it is already part of the "block" of time.

2. Does causality exist in a block universe?

This is a highly debated topic among scientists and philosophers. Some argue that causality still exists in a block universe, as events in the past still lead to events in the future, even if they are all predetermined. Others argue that the concept of causality does not apply in a block universe, as all events are already predetermined and cannot be changed.

3. How does the theory of relativity relate to the concept of a block universe?

The theory of relativity, specifically the theory of special relativity, is often used to support the concept of a block universe. This theory suggests that time is relative and can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. In a block universe, time is seen as a dimension that exists alongside space, and the theory of relativity supports this idea.

4. Is there any evidence to support the existence of a block universe?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence to prove or disprove the existence of a block universe. The concept is largely based on philosophical and theoretical arguments, rather than empirical evidence. However, some scientists argue that certain phenomena, such as the concept of time dilation in the theory of relativity, support the idea of a block universe.

5. How does the concept of free will fit into a block universe?

The concept of free will is often seen as incompatible with a block universe, as all events are predetermined and unchangeable. However, some argue that the illusion of free will still exists, as we perceive ourselves as making choices and decisions, even if they are already predetermined. Others argue that free will may still exist within the constraints of a predetermined universe, as our actions and choices are still a part of the predetermined block of time.