Does causality exist?

Dennis Blewett
I have read that if causality exists, then the cause must exist in the past light cone because causes can't go faster than light. However, as an implication of special relativity, space and time are interdependent, leading to a four-dimensional continuum. Since reality is a block universe (block universe theory), multiverse discussions aside, independent objects don't exist: they, too, are interdependent. Thus, there can't be an independent object in a past light cone to effectuate an effect.

Am I right to presume causality does not exist?

No slice of spacetime has independent objects that lead to an effect. All of spacetime is written and all of spacetime is interdependent. No slice of spacetime causes the next moment to come into existence.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Likes russ_watters, topsquark and Bystander
Dennis Blewett
I do not understand the reasoning for your response. To argue no is to claim all things are not interdependent with space and time

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
I do not understand the reasoning for your response.
If causality doesn't exist, how could @Vanadium 50 have a reason for his response to your post?

• Haha
  • Love
Likes russ_watters, DrClaude, DennisN and 3 others
Dennis Blewett
Vanadium 50's post came temporally after my thread creation. But my thread did not cause the post to come into existence. The person's post was already part of reality (part of the spacetime continuum), as per special relativity.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
berkeman
Mentor
Thread closed temporally for Moderation with something that will be caused pretty soon by your posts...

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, Wrichik Basu, PeroK and 1 other person
berkeman
Mentor
Thread will remain closed. OP is stuck in a looping time continuum for 10 days for trolling us. Have a nice day. :smile:

• Love
  • Haha
Likes pinball1970, Wrichik Basu, topsquark and 3 others

Suggested for: Does causality exist?

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views