Does de Sitter Spacetime Have Flat Foliation?

In summary: The conformally flat form is$$ds^2 = \frac{1}{\alpha^2} \left( - d\tau^2 + \left( e^{\alpha \tau} \right)^2 \left( dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2 \right) \right)$$where ##\tau## is a conformal time coordinate. This slicing is not flat, as the scale factor for the spatial part is now time-dependent.
andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
de Sitter spacetime is curved despite containing no mass-energy, because of a positive cosmological constant. Does it have a foliation into spatially flat hypersurfaces though?
I was just reading about de Sitter space and the following question occurred to me:

de Sitter spacetime is curved despite containing no mass-energy, because it has a positive cosmological constant. Does it have a foliation into spatially flat, constant-time hypersurfaces though?

Maybe it's just me but I find interesting the question of whether space is curved as well as spacetime. I looked at a few articles on de Sitter spacetime but could not readily find the answer. I was hoping somebody who knows lots about de Sitter spacetimes could tell me.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wiki gives a conformally flat metric,. Which isn't quite what you're looking for, but might be of interest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=De_Sitter_space&oldid=961657095#Flat_slicing

If I'm reading the article correctly, the metric is something like

$$ds^2 = a(t) (dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2 - dt^2)$$

One non-general possibility for a(t) is 1/(1-t)^2.

I mashed this into GrTensor. Using the orthonormal basis dt/(1-t), dx/(1-t),dy/(1-t),dz/(1-t) , the computer calculates the Einstein tensor G in this basis as:

$$G_{\hat{a}\hat{b}} = \begin{bmatrix} 3&0&0&0\\0&-3&0&0\\0&0&-3&0\\0&0&0&-3 \end{bmatrix}$$

which looks right to me, a positive constant density and a negative diagonal pressure with the same absolute value. There is a glaring coordinate singularity at t=1.

Likes andrewkirk
pervect said:
Wiki gives a conformally flat metric

This slicing isn't just conformally flat, it's flat. The constant time hypersurfaces are flat Euclidean 3-spaces.

Likes vanhees71
pervect said:
If I'm reading the article correctly

The line element for the flat slicing is

$$
ds^2 = - dt^2 + a^2(t) \left( dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2 \right)
$$

Exactly as you'd expect for a flat slicing. The scale factor is ##a(t) = e^{t / \alpha}##, where ##\alpha## is related to the cosmological constant by ##\Lambda = 3 / \alpha^2##.

The article also mentions a conformally flat form of the line element, but that is not the flat slicing.

Likes DifferentialGalois

1. What is de Sitter spacetime?

De Sitter spacetime is a mathematical model used in general relativity to describe the universe in which the expansion rate is constant. It is characterized by a positive cosmological constant, which results in a flat, empty universe with no matter or radiation.

2. What is flat foliation in de Sitter spacetime?

In de Sitter spacetime, flat foliation refers to a way of dividing the spacetime into slices that are flat and perpendicular to each other. This allows for a simpler mathematical representation of the spacetime and makes it easier to study its properties.

3. Does de Sitter spacetime have a flat foliation?

Yes, de Sitter spacetime can be foliated in a flat way. This means that it can be divided into flat, non-curved slices that are perpendicular to each other. This is one of the unique properties of de Sitter spacetime.

4. What are the implications of de Sitter spacetime having a flat foliation?

The flat foliation of de Sitter spacetime has important implications for the study of the universe and its expansion. It allows for a simpler mathematical representation of the spacetime, making it easier for scientists to analyze its properties and make predictions about the behavior of the universe.

5. Are there any other models of spacetime that have a flat foliation?

Yes, there are other models of spacetime that have a flat foliation, such as Minkowski spacetime. However, de Sitter spacetime is unique in that it has a positive cosmological constant, which results in a flat, empty universe with no matter or radiation. This makes it a valuable model for studying the expansion of the universe.