1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does dx/dy = 1/(dy/dx) ?

1. Jul 8, 2011 #1
    I was logged out when trying to post and lost everything :cry:

Without the background of the question cause I've lost all the equations and everything, i just needed to know if dx/dy = 1/(dy/dx)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yes for the most part. There are some basic stipulations I believe, but I'll let the mathematicians point that out.

4. Jul 8, 2011 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, it's true.

5. Jul 8, 2011 #4
    The problem:
    Youre given
    jF9e7.png

Then it says:
    kXRtI.png
    Ilc6t.png
    WluMz.png

My solution:
    O7Xhe.png
    First type:
    n5gfO.png
    Second type:
    PAVfb.png

It seems to easy to be right.. Though it's part of a worded problem so I could be missing something

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  6. Jul 8, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That basically looks ok to me. Is replacing alpha with c in the second part just a typo?

7. Jul 8, 2011 #6
    Yeah, well I used wolfram to input my answers so it's readable and didn't have that symbol handy. It's the symbol for proportion right?

8. Jul 8, 2011 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From what you said in defining dV/dt, it doesn't look like they mean it's 'proportional to'. They are just saying dV/dt is equal to -alpha*(h+R) where alpha is a constant. Not the 'proportional to' symbol. You could simplify (h+R)/(R^2-h^2) a bit.

9. Jul 9, 2011 #8
    Thank you for clearing that up Dick.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook