Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Does dx/dy = 1/(dy/dx) ?

1. Jul 8, 2011 #1
    I was logged out when trying to post and lost everything :cry:

Without the background of the question cause I've lost all the equations and everything, i just needed to know if dx/dy = 1/(dy/dx)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yes for the most part. There are some basic stipulations I believe, but I'll let the mathematicians point that out.

4. Jul 8, 2011 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, it's true.

5. Jul 8, 2011 #4
    The problem:
    Youre given
    jF9e7.png

Then it says:
    kXRtI.png
    Ilc6t.png
    WluMz.png

My solution:
    O7Xhe.png
    First type:
    n5gfO.png
    Second type:
    PAVfb.png

It seems to easy to be right.. Though it's part of a worded problem so I could be missing something

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  6. Jul 8, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That basically looks ok to me. Is replacing alpha with c in the second part just a typo?

7. Jul 8, 2011 #6
    Yeah, well I used wolfram to input my answers so it's readable and didn't have that symbol handy. It's the symbol for proportion right?

8. Jul 8, 2011 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From what you said in defining dV/dt, it doesn't look like they mean it's 'proportional to'. They are just saying dV/dt is equal to -alpha*(h+R) where alpha is a constant. Not the 'proportional to' symbol. You could simplify (h+R)/(R^2-h^2) a bit.

9. Jul 9, 2011 #8
    Thank you for clearing that up Dick.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook