1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does e^x = 1

1. Sep 26, 2011 #1
    This is not a homework question.

I know that the equation [itex] e^x=1[/itex] has infinitly many solutions in form of [itex]2i\pi n[/itex] but I don't understand how and why.

Will appreciate any help, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2011 #2
    Re: e^x=1

You should know that a complex number can be represented as a vector in the gauss plane, where te x-axis is the Real axes and the y-axis is the Imaginary axis. Take for example the complex number z=a+ib (where a and b are real), it can be represented by the vector (a,b). You can use also a polar coordinate system where r is the modulus of the vector (a,b) and [itex]\phi[/itex] is the so-called anomaly, meaning the angle between the vector and the positive side of the x-axis. So you have:

[itex]z=r\left(\cos(\phi)+i\sin(\phi)\right)[/itex]

If you consider the taylor expansion of the function sine, cosine and , [itex]e^{x}[/itex]you can observe that:

[itex]\cos(x)=\frac{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}{2}[/itex]

[itex]\sin(x)=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}[/itex]

and so:

[itex]e^{ix}=\cos(x)+i\sin(x)[/itex]

So you can write a complex number with Euler's notation:

[itex]z=re^{i\phi}[/itex]

Since in your equation z=1, i.e. the vector (1,0), in Euler's notation you have r=1 and [itex]\phi[/itex] can be 0, [itex]2\pi i[/itex], [itex]4\pi i[/itex] and so on, since they represent the same angle (i.e sine and cosine are periodic and the period is [itex]2\pi[/itex] and so also the exponential is periodic, and the period is [itex]2\pi i[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2011
  4. Sep 26, 2011 #3
    Re: e^x=1

Thank you for the detailed explanation!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook