Does Einstein really explain everything about gravity? Is there more?

In summary: But there isn't, so the answer is "because that's just the way it is" which is also a fundamental answer.In summary, although Albert Einstein had explained the new picture of gravity through his theory of general relativity, by explaining that gravity is the warping of spacetime, he didn't explain why mass actually warps this fabric of spacetime.
T.O.E Dream
Although Albert Einstein had explained the new picture of gravity through his theory of general relativity, by explaining that gravity is the warping of spacetime, did he explain why mass actually warps this fabric of spacetime?

Physics news on Phys.org
Didn't you ask this earlier?

T.O.E Dream said:
Although Albert Einstein had explained the new picture of gravity through his theory of general relativity, by explaining that gravity is the warping of spacetime, did he explain why mass actually warps this fabric of spacetime?

The answer to your question is no. I am not a GR expert but I have studied the theory in mathematical detail and the underlying fact that gravitational effects are caused by mass-energy seems only to be known by experience i.e. it is not deduced mathematically (a priori) but only empirically (a posteori).

Neither Einstein nor, as far as I know, any scientist has ever claimed to explain how mass is "causes" gravity. Newton said, in regard to that question, "Hypothesen non fengo", "I frame no hypotheses" and it is still true. That, I suspect, would be one of the deepest questions of physics.

cristo said:
Didn't you ask this earlier?
Yeah I did, i wanted to delete the other one first but i didn't know how and i wasn't sure if i can.

mass or energy creates gravity not just mass.

To follow up on cragar's point. The source of gravity in GR is the stress-energy tensor which includes energy (mass often being the dominant source of energy), momentum, pressure, and stress. It is incorrect to say that mass alone causes gravity.

cragar said:
mass or energy creates gravity not just mass.

Okay, but the question wasn't what creates gravity, the question was why does mass/energy cause spacetime to warp? On a very fundamental level.

T.O.E Dream said:
Okay, but the question wasn't what creates gravity, the question was why does mass/energy cause spacetime to warp? On a very fundamental level.
Define "very fundamental level". :smile: Also don't forget that curved spacetime is just a mathematical model. You could just as well ask: Why does force change the velocity of a body. The answer is: Because force is a mathematical abstraction that was defined this way.

T.O.E Dream said:
Any problem in science or philosophy or anything else in life can be turned into an undending string of "why"s that eventually become unanswerable except to say "that's just the way it is". That may be unsettling to you, but it is a reality that you must deal with - scientists do and as a result, there is a limit to how far they will go with such questions. Eventually, they really are pointless. They don't add any value to scientific knowledge.

By the way, TOE Dream, that is what the word "fundamental" means. If there were an answer to the question "why" then that answer would be the fundamental one.

1. Does Einstein's theory of general relativity completely explain gravity?

No, Einstein's theory of general relativity does not completely explain gravity. While it is a very accurate and successful theory, it is not compatible with quantum mechanics and does not fully explain all phenomena related to gravity.

2. What are the limitations of Einstein's theory of general relativity?

Einstein's theory of general relativity has limitations when it comes to explaining the behavior of gravity on a very small scale, such as at the level of subatomic particles. It also does not account for the force of gravity itself, only the effects it has on the curvature of spacetime.

3. Are there any alternative theories to Einstein's theory of general relativity?

Yes, there are alternative theories to Einstein's theory of general relativity, such as string theory and loop quantum gravity. These theories attempt to reconcile the incompatibility between general relativity and quantum mechanics.

4. Can Einstein's theory of general relativity be proven wrong?

While it is unlikely that Einstein's theory of general relativity will be completely disproven, it is possible that it may be modified or expanded upon as our understanding of the universe and its laws evolves.

5. Is there more to learn about gravity beyond Einstein's theory of general relativity?

Yes, there is still much to learn about gravity and its effects on the universe. Scientists are continuously studying and researching gravitational phenomena in order to gain a deeper understanding of this fundamental force.