What is the name of a function in the form of f(x)^{g(x)}?

• Thread starter klondike
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of a function in the form of f(x)^{g(x)} and whether or not this type of function has a specific name. It is mentioned that the function may not make sense if f is negative and that it is built from elementary functions. The speaker is not aware of a special name for this type of function and suggests that it can be named anything. The conversation then briefly touches on the naming of another function, ##\log_{f(x)}g(x)##.
klondike
I was trying to explain to someone how to find limit of function in form of [tex]f(x)^{g(x)}[/tex] and was asked what kind of function it is. I don't know if this function has a name. Does "power-exponential" sound right?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on the range of ##g##, this expression may or may not make sense if ##f## is ever negative. So without knowing much about ##g## we need to say that ##f## is always strictly positive.

Then ##f(x)^{g(x)}=e^{\log f(x)^{g(x)}}=e^{g(x)\log f(x)}## is really built from elementary functions. I am not aware of this brand of function being given a special name. I suppose you can name it whatever you want.

As long as we're building interesting functions and naming them, what name would you give to ##\log_{f(x)}g(x)##?

1. What is the name of the function f(x)^g(x)?

The function f(x)^g(x) does not have a specific name. It is simply referred to as the power function or the exponential function.

2. Is there a specific notation for f(x)^g(x)?

Yes, the notation for f(x)^g(x) is usually written as f(x)g(x) or (f(x))^g(x), depending on personal preference or mathematical convention.

3. Can f(x)^g(x) be rewritten in a different form?

Yes, f(x)^g(x) can be written as exp(g(x) * ln(f(x))), where exp(x) represents the exponential function e^x and ln(x) represents the natural logarithm function.

4. What are the properties of f(x)^g(x)?

The properties of f(x)^g(x) depend on the properties of f(x) and g(x). However, in general, the function will exhibit properties of both exponential and power functions, such as growth or decay rates and asymptotic behavior.

5. Are there real-world applications of f(x)^g(x)?

Yes, f(x)^g(x) has many real-world applications, such as in finance for calculating compound interest, in physics for modeling exponential growth or decay, and in biology for representing population growth or decay.