Convergence: Epsilon-N Definition

• Thread starter UOAMCBURGER
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of a sequence and the application of the epsilon-N definition of convergence. The speaker also uses L'Hospital's Rule to find that the sequence converges to 2, but then questions the use of the rule when separating logarithms. They are reminded of logarithm rules and are encouraged to review them. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use the difference between 2 and the given fraction for an epsilon-N argument.
UOAMCBURGER

Homework Statement

45068354_253709458645469_3577857059221143552_n.png?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent.fhlz2-1.png

Homework Equations

epsilon - N definition of convergence [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to determine whether this sequence converges or not. Thought it could have something to do with the fact that e^2 and e^3 are just constants, so when n > infinity those e terms become negligible in comparison. If you had to apply convergence definition how could you do that without L? [/B]

Attachments

• 45068354_253709458645469_3577857059221143552_n.png?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent.fhlz2-1.png
    45068354_253709458645469_3577857059221143552_n.png?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent.fhlz2-1.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 502
Physics news on Phys.org
UOAMCBURGER said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 232999

Homework Equations

epsilon - N definition of convergence

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to determine whether this sequence converges or not. Thought it could have something to do with the fact that e^2 and e^3 are just constants, so when n > infinity those e terms become negligible in comparison. If you had to apply convergence definition how could you do that without L?
Do you know rules for logarithms ?

Such as ##\ \ln(a\cdot b) =\ln(a)+\ln(b)\,?##

What is ## \ \ln(e^2) \, ?##

SammyS said:
Do you know rules for logarithms ?

Such as ##\ \ln(a\cdot b) =\ln(a)+\ln(b)\,?##

What is ## \ \ln(e^2) \, ?##
oh yes i do. Update: I used L'Hospital's Rule to find that the sequence converges to 2. But now separating the logarithms you get 2+ln(n^2)/3+ln(n), so would that change my answer I get using L'Hospital's rule? or can i assume an converges to 2 and then use the definition with L = 2?

UOAMCBURGER said:
oh yes i do. Update: I used L'Hospital's Rule to find that the sequence converges to 2. But now separating the logarithms you get 2+ln(n^2)/3+ln(n), so would that change my answer I get using L'Hospital's rule? or can i assume an converges to 2 and then use the definition with L = 2?
Did you mean ##\ \displaystyle \frac{2+\ln(n^2)}{3+\ln(n) } \,?##

If you write a "fraction" all on one line, you need to enclose the numerator and denominator each in parentheses; as in (2+ln(n^2))/(3+ln(n)) .

Also, you may further find that it helps to review rules for logarithms in general.

Another helpful one here is ##\ \displaystyle \ln(a^M) = M\ln(a)\ .##

In addition to this:
You know that the limit is 2, so take the difference between 2 and ##\ \displaystyle \frac{2+\ln(n^2)}{3+\ln(n) } \,.\ ## That should be useful for an ## \epsilon - N\ ## argument. It will also give you what you need to write ##\ \displaystyle \frac{2+\ln(n^2)}{3+\ln(n) } \ ## in a simplified form.

1. What is the definition of convergence in terms of epsilon and n?

The epsilon-n definition of convergence is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of a sequence of numbers. It states that a sequence converges to a limit L if, for any positive number epsilon, there exists a positive integer n such that the difference between any term in the sequence and the limit L is less than epsilon for all terms beyond the nth term.

2. How is the epsilon-n definition of convergence different from other definitions of convergence?

The epsilon-n definition of convergence is more rigorous and precise compared to other definitions. It focuses on the behavior of a sequence beyond a certain term, rather than just the behavior of the first few terms. This definition also allows for a more accurate determination of the limit of a sequence.

3. What is the importance of the epsilon-n definition of convergence in mathematics?

The epsilon-n definition of convergence is important because it provides a clear and precise definition of convergence, which is a fundamental concept in mathematics. It is also used in many mathematical proofs and allows for more accurate calculations and analysis of sequences.

4. How is the epsilon-n definition of convergence applied in real-world situations?

The epsilon-n definition of convergence has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used in the analysis of data and the development of algorithms. For example, in computer science, it is used to determine the accuracy of numerical methods and algorithms.

5. Can the epsilon-n definition of convergence be used for all types of sequences?

Yes, the epsilon-n definition of convergence can be used for all types of sequences, including sequences of real numbers, complex numbers, and vectors. It can also be extended to infinite series and sequences of functions.