1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does it happen?

1. Dec 28, 2009 #1
    So I was watching a show, months ago, and they were doing research on finding Quarks, miles below the ground there was a tank of liquid. Every so often a quark would hit an atom square on and react. I was wondering. If that reaction could take place in people, just walking around?

Every once in a while I will feel and hear a snap, not really painful. They have the sound and feel of static electricity shock but emanating inside the body. I am sure there can be plenty of biological reasons for such things. Just curious about reactions. Don't need medical help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2009 #2

sylas

Science Advisor

It is more likely to be a neutrino detector, such as the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory. Yes, the same reactions occur in your body.

This is unrelated, I am sure. You need massive highly sensitive instruments to detect such things. You can't feel the tiny number of reactions when they occur in your body.

Cheers -- sylas

4. Dec 28, 2009 #3
    thanks sylas
    You are correct. Neutrino's. It was months ago.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook