Can Graduating High School as a College Junior Help with University Transfer?

• Thread starter haxtor21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, graduating high school as a college junior does not give you an advantage for transferring to university, as you will be applying as a freshman. Your high school grades and test scores will still be taken into consideration and may reflect poorly on you if they are not strong. It is important to focus on improving your grades, test scores, and getting good letters of recommendation in order to have a better chance at transferring to top programs like Cornell. It is also important to note that not all of your community college credits may transfer, so it is important to research the university's transfer policy.
haxtor21
Does graduating high school as a college junior give you any advantage whatsoever regarding transferring to university? considering that you had no real ECs except work and hobbies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not that I've seen. And 'transferring' refers to changing schools in the middle of a degree, not just starting one. You'd be applying as a freshman, not a transfer student. Graduating as a junior just means you might be behind in math, or if you were two years ahead of your peers, at the same math level as most people entering the physical science majors.

I'm curious what program did you go through to do this>

Uhm... let me rephrase that.

I will be grduaring high school with ~60 credits of community college credit, including Calc 1,2,3, diff eq, phy 1,2 and the other rubbish classes. GPA 3.9.

The thing is i just let my high school slip, since I just hate the place. I have a 3.0 HS GPA and a 21 ACT.

So uhm, Do i have any advantage considering i basically went full time since I was 16? I am planning to transfer to top 10 programs, my target school being Cornell.

College confidential really screwed up my head and I kind of lost confidence in my stats.

haxtor21 said:
Uhm... let me rephrase that.

I will be grduaring high school with ~60 credits of community college credit, including Calc 1,2,3, diff eq, phy 1,2 and the other rubbish classes. GPA 3.9.

The thing is i just let my high school slip, since I just hate the place. I have a 3.0 HS GPA and a 21 ACT.

So uhm, Do i have any advantage considering i basically went full time since I was 16? I am planning to transfer to top 10 programs, my target school being Cornell.

College confidential really screwed up my head and I kind of lost confidence in my stats.

Only if you apply as a transfer. Sadly your high school scores will reflect badly on you.

I only suggest this is because I went through kinda the same thing. Except my high school neglected to send my transcript until many months after any scholarship decisions were made. I still got into the colleges I wanted to go to.

You high school grades will reflect poorly - in fact, they will be looked at in a worse light because of your other accomplishments. The message it sends is "works hard - but only when he feels like it". This is not what elite colleges are looking for. The admissions committee may well come to the conclusion that, based on your grades and test scores, that the community college has a very liberal grading policy.

As far as transfer vs. freshman admissions, in most cases transfer admissions are more difficult, as the number of slots is smaller. However, the university's policy will determine whether you apply as a freshman or a transfer.

You also need to consider the possibility that not all of your CC credits will transfer. Physics 1 and 2 at a CC may not be the same as from an elite university.

So I am screwed basically. What can I do in order to transfer at cornell ? I received emails from them encouraging me to consider them for transfer admission (through phi theta kappa).

I have one semester left of high school. Should I just not care about it, or what should I do ? retake the ACT ?

Should I take up more ECs at college?

I was planning on applying for winter 2010.

Crap. -_-

You need to get your grades up, and it wouldn't hurt to get your test scores up. It's also important to get good letters of recommendation from your teachers.

Vanadium 50 said:
You need to get your grades up, and it wouldn't hurt to get your test scores up. It's also important to get good letters of recommendation from your teachers.

Well I am only going to be taking 3 easy classes at my high school ( I exhausted all of the hard classes basically) and 3 classes at college. And I don't really have any relationships with my teachers. I am quiet and shy. I don't think I can get my grades up that significantly. Should I retake the ACT?

Is this high school stuff really that important even though I will be transferring ? Does it really have that much weight?

I'd retake the ACT, you seem smart and a 21 on the ACT will NOT be reflecting your potential.

1. Does the type of water used in a scientific experiment make a difference?

Yes, the type of water used can greatly impact the results of a scientific experiment. Different types of water, such as tap water, distilled water, or mineral water, can have varying levels of impurities and minerals that can affect the chemical reactions and overall outcome of the experiment.

2. Does the amount of time an experiment is conducted for make a difference?

Absolutely. The duration of an experiment can significantly affect the accuracy and reliability of the results. Some experiments may require longer or shorter time periods to achieve the desired outcome, and changing the duration can alter the variables and ultimately impact the results.

3. Does the location of an experiment make a difference?

Yes, the location of an experiment can have a significant impact on the results. Factors such as temperature, humidity, and altitude can vary in different locations and can affect the reactions and behavior of substances being tested.

4. Does the equipment used in an experiment make a difference?

Absolutely. The equipment used in a scientific experiment must be carefully selected and calibrated to ensure accurate and precise results. Using incorrect or faulty equipment can greatly affect the outcome of an experiment.

5. Does the person conducting the experiment make a difference?

Yes, the person conducting the experiment can have a significant impact on the results. Factors such as experience, technique, and attention to detail can all affect the accuracy and reliability of the results. It is important for experiments to be conducted by trained and skilled individuals to minimize any potential human error.