Does it matter if L + epsilon is not in the range of the function?

In summary, the OP used a graphing calculator to find the value of \delta when 0<|x - \pi/2|<\delta and |sin(x) - 1|<0.2. They found that L + ε was greater than 1, but this is not a problem because sin(x) never exceeds 1.2. The value of \delta they obtained was 0.61, which is acceptable.
rakeru

Homework Statement

Use a graphing calculator to find [itex]\delta[/itex]
when

0<|x - [itex]\pi[/itex]/2|<[itex]\delta[/itex] and |sin(x) - 1|<0.2

Homework Equations

I don't think there are any other than the format of the previous information:

0<|x-a|<[itex]\delta[/itex] and |f(x)-L|<[itex]\epsilon[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I used the graphing calculator to graph sinx, y=1.2 and y=0.8
The thing is, L + ε turns out to be greater than 1, so I have something like this (i attached a picture).

For [itex]\delta[/itex] I got 0.61. I'm not sure if it's possible, because the line y=1.2 doesn't touch the graph of sinx. Is it possible?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    80.4 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
rakeru said:

Homework Statement

when

Homework Equations

The thing is, L + ε turns out to be greater than 1, so I have something like this (i attached a picture).

For [itex]\delta[/itex] I got 0.61. I'm not sure if it's possible, because the line y=1.2 doesn't touch the graph of sinx. Is it possible?

Thank you!

That's just fine. Sure, sin(x) never exceeds 1.2, so you don't have to worry about that case.

rakeru said:

Homework Statement

when

Homework Equations

Thank you!
No.

Edited:
You just need to have ##\displaystyle \ L-\varepsilon < f(x) < L+\varepsilon \ ## whenever ##\displaystyle 0< \left| x-a \right| <\delta ##

Last edited:
Uhm, okay. So... who is right?
I don't quite understand what L-ε < f(x) < L -ε means. Do you mean L - ε < f(x) < L + ε ?

rakeru said:
Uhm, okay. So... who is right?
I don't quite understand what L-ε < f(x) < L -ε means. Do you mean L - ε < f(x) < L + ε ?

I'm not sure what SammyS is on about. If |x-pi/2|<0.61 then |sin(x)-1|<0.2. At least approximately, as your graph is showing you. I don't see any problems with what you did.

Dick said:
I'm not sure what SammyS is on about. If |x-pi/2|<0.61 then |sin(x)-1|<0.2. At least approximately, as your graph is showing you. I don't see any problems with what you did.
Mainly a typo.

I'll fix it.

SammyS said:
Mainly a typo.

I'll fix it.

Ah, ok so your "No" was answering the "Does it matter" question in the post question and my "Yes" was answering the "Is it possible" question posed by the OP in the post. No conflict.

1. What does it mean if L + epsilon is not in the range of the function?

If L + epsilon is not in the range of the function, it means that the function does not have a value corresponding to the input of L + epsilon. In other words, the function is not defined for that particular input.

2. How does this affect the accuracy of the function?

The inaccuracy of the function can vary depending on the specific value of epsilon and the behavior of the function. In some cases, the function may still provide a close approximation to the actual value, while in others, it may significantly affect the accuracy of the output.

3. Can this issue be resolved by adjusting the value of epsilon?

In some cases, adjusting the value of epsilon may help to resolve the issue. However, it is important to consider the behavior of the function and the purpose for which it is being used before making any adjustments.

4. What are the potential consequences of using a function with a range that does not include L + epsilon?

The potential consequences may vary depending on the specific application of the function. In some cases, it may lead to incorrect results or errors, while in others, it may have minimal impact on the overall outcome.

5. How can I determine if L + epsilon is within the range of the function?

This can be determined by evaluating the function for the input of L + epsilon and checking if the output falls within the range of the function. Alternatively, if the function is defined mathematically, you can also determine the range by analyzing its domain and any restrictions on the input values.