1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does junior high really matter?

1. Oct 25, 2006 #1
    I did really poorly in junior high... I think all 4 semester average to about 2.85 or something, but now in my freshmen year I am on track of getting a 3.6+ and hopefully a 4.0

Will my horrible junior high procrastination ever affect college applications since i really want to go to a good university for physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2006 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hell no.

They won't look at junior high at all. They won't even look at your freshmen and sophomore year nevermind junior high!

Keep up the good work though.:biggrin:

4. Oct 25, 2006 #3
    You could have had a 0.0 in junior high, and if they still passed you to high school, you'd be just fine. Freshmen year, the reason why you want to do well (looks like you are), is to start off with a good class rank.

Oh, let me give you some really good advice. Listen. Do not start thinking about universities now, and do not think about what will help you get in. Do what you want to do, as long as you do SOMETHING. Some colleges don't even look at freshmen year of high school (I believe that Princeton and UMich don't, for example), and others don't put that much weight on it. Sophomore year matters somewhat. Junior year, take the hardest courseload you can ever possibly think of ever taking (choose interesting classes!). You will be set. Just don't start thinking about colleges yet; don't be that guy. High school will probably change most of what you think of all academic subjects and universities. Have fun!

EDIT: Also, don't worry about what others are getting right now. I've seen people be on track to being valedictorian, until they just crashed junior year and couldn't take it anymore.

5. Oct 25, 2006 #4
    really?

I asked my English teacher and he said he wasn't sure, but he said the much higher schools like Harvard and Yale might go all the way back to whenever,

Maybe i just worry too much...

6. Oct 25, 2006 #5
    yes you do, have fun in high school, when it comes to junior year then you can worry but not till then.

7. Oct 25, 2006 #6
    I barely passed in Junior high. Actually, I failed a few classes. It hasn't effected me at ALL. All of school before high school is garbage.

8. Oct 25, 2006 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My English teacher was a moron, so I wouldn't be surprised if yours is too, especially after a comment like that.

Anyways, I wouldn't stress about it, and just do what you're doing because you're doing great.

9. Oct 25, 2006 #8
    "Well, this kid is a genius now, but how smart was he in... 7th grade!?"

10. Oct 25, 2006 #9
    My english teacher probably is a moron. The way he teaches will probably teach us the most about why we write, but he is a moron and doesn't teach us about writing.

English teachers tend to be morons...

11. Oct 25, 2006 #10

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I failed mathematics in my senior in high school, and now I'm heading to graduate school soon!!!

I wouldn't take that route, but that goes to show that education in high school is so poor that a month of study if sufficient to cover all the material from high school! Sad.

12. Oct 25, 2006 #11
    lol... actually in 7th grade i came up with alot of ideas and even some ideas for perpetual motion and reason for gravity and whatnot

but i procrastinated like crazy

13. Oct 25, 2006 #12
    lol, I remember getting a D in science in 7th grade, as well as an F in history (I didnt do the projects and homework, which apparently were worth like 50% of the grade).

It's good that you were thinking, but I doubt they were very intelligent thoughts(im saying this due to your comments on perpetual motion...), hehe

14. Oct 25, 2006 #13
    well the perpetual motion was just random possible blurbs and i figured out that 2 of them were totally impossible

the third i've yet to test.. lol i really doubt it will ever work but the possibility is cool though =]

7th grade was full of creativity and procrastination and alot of stuborness. Reality didn't exist to me in 7th grade. my report cards and some of my ideas reflect that

edit. so can I be 100% sure that my junir high wont come back to haunt me?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  15. Oct 25, 2006 #14
    good luck with perpetual motion, note me in your nobel prize speech please. Juniour high doesnt matter though, in fact just have fun. From I have heard, you are that kid who is chasing down perfection. Beauty is in imperfection my friend. It is what sets everyone apart, we are all imperfect in different ways. The best skills you can learn in high school are the social skills anyways.

16. Oct 25, 2006 #15

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i was going to say yes! becase i thought you were still in junior high. but since it is apparentlyover, the answer is no!

now matters, the past does not matter.

17. Oct 25, 2006 #16
    Ki Man, I don't even know if they still have my junior high grades on file anywhere.

18. Oct 25, 2006 #17

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

I GOT MY FIRST B IN JR HIGH. i think it was in english. i was in hank williams' daughter's class, and she wrote this smacking good biography of her life growing with audrey and without hank. she got an A. how could i match that?

19. Oct 25, 2006 #18
    wow what nice competition =P

I was just wondering because it would really really weigh me down... jr high is really just a kind of extension of elementary. its just there so when you go to high school you dont die.

If they do count though, i can say goodbye to caltech

20. Oct 25, 2006 #19
    Nobody cares about junior high. Don't worry.

21. Oct 25, 2006 #20
    Don't make up your mind on a university just yet :smile: It will be far better for you to keep your mind completely open until the end. Throughout high school you will (hopefully) learn that many many many universities will provide you with an excellent education. I would focus more on the life aspect there than solely on academic. Caltech is great, but make sure you visit, etc.., but not yet!

I remember my views of college a few years ago when I was a freshmen. Boy have they changed.

If you really want to get into Caltech, do something cool with your time. Don't waste it by studying constantly, or not doing anything.

EDIT: BTW, even a 2.8 freshmen year in high school wouldn't kill your chances of getting into Caltech. I can tell you right now that colleges will never see, nor care, about your junior high grades...EVER, EVER

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?