Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does L'Hospital's rule apply to complex functions?

1. Sep 26, 2005 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have to evaluate

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{x-1}{e^{ipx/\hbar}}[/tex]

is this equal to

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\hbar}{ip e^{ipx/\hbar}}[/tex]

??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2005 #2

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

L'Hospital's rule only applies when a limit approaches [itex]\frac{0}{0}[/itex] or [itex]\frac{\infty}{\infty}[/itex]. Niether is the case here because [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}e^{ix}[/itex] does not exist. The real and imaginary parts oscilate between -1 and 1 as x approaches infinity. Your limit is equal to:
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{x-1}{e^{ipx/\hbar}} =\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} (x-1)\cos{\frac{ipx}{\hbar}}-i(x-1)\sin{\frac{ipx}{\hbar}[/tex]
    So the real and imaginary parts both oscillate between larger and larger positive and negative numbers as x gets larger, so the limit does not exist.

4. Sep 26, 2005 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Dang. I guess I was trying a little too hard to make this QM problem work :tongue2:

5. Jan 14, 2010 #4
    ok so the answer is infinity
    we have some thing bounded in the denominator
    and the numerator goes to infinity

6. Jan 14, 2010 #5
    I suggest you choose different boundary conditions at infinity for your QM problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?