Does light affect the magnetization of a material?

In summary, light can affect the magnetization of a material by influencing the spin and angular momentum of the electrons within it.
The_Thinker
My question is really basic, and I've ended up getting a bit confused because of it.

My understanding is that magnetism of a material is based upon the intrinsic electron spin, the rotation of the electron around an atom, and the movement of electrons within a material, i.e- current.

So what my question is, is if light is impinging on a material, how does it affect the magnetization of the material?

Of course, if it's got a suitable energy it would eject electrons from the shells, and lead to current which would affect the magnetization of the material, but I'm more interested in the other two aspects.

Does light increase the magnetization of the material by giving the electron enough energy that it spins around the atom faster? Does it affect the angular momentum of the electron?

Or am I just blabbering?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you are definitely on the right track! The energy of the light can indeed affect the magnetization of a material, by affecting the spin of the electrons. When light is impinging on a material, the amount of energy it carries can affect the angular momentum of the electron by either increasing or decreasing it. This in turn affects the magnetic field generated by the material, which can thus increase or decrease the magnetization of the material.

1. How does light affect the magnetization of a material?

Light can affect the magnetization of a material through a process known as the magneto-optical effect. This occurs when light interacts with the magnetic moments of a material, causing a change in its magnetization.

2. Is the effect of light on magnetization permanent?

No, the effect of light on magnetization is not permanent. Once the light source is removed, the material will return to its original magnetization state.

3. Can all materials be affected by light in terms of magnetization?

No, not all materials can be affected by light in terms of magnetization. Only certain materials, such as ferromagnetic materials, exhibit the magneto-optical effect.

4. Does the intensity of light affect the degree of magnetization change?

Yes, the intensity of light can affect the degree of magnetization change in a material. Generally, the higher the intensity of light, the greater the change in magnetization.

5. Can different wavelengths of light have different effects on magnetization?

Yes, different wavelengths of light can have different effects on magnetization. This is because different wavelengths correspond to different energy levels, which can have varying impacts on the magnetic moments of a material.