Does Light Bend Spacetime and Have a Gravitational Pull?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of light having a hypothetical mass and whether or not it has a gravitational pull. The conversation also mentions research and theories about the interaction of two light beams and their motion in relation to rest mass. The concept of a "phase center" and its relation to rest mass is also brought up.
Tomtom
E=mc^2. Mass warps spacetime. From use of the aforementioned equation, light can have a hypothetical mass (can't it?). So, does light bend spacetime, and consequently, bend light?

Does light have a gravitational pull is another way of phrasing my question.

Physics news on Phys.org
That was a good read! Thanks a lot. However, it still doesn't answer my question ;)

I guess what I am looking for, is serious discussion on the subject, or any papers written on it. I've searched a bit, but only found forum discussions with too many "I think"s.

I've just found two threads on this forum concerning the topic, but there are no clear answers.

Tomtom said:
I've just found two threads on this forum concerning the topic, but there are no clear answers.

From page 427 of Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell by A. Zee:
An interesting question: Einstein said that light is deflected by a massive object, but is light deflected gravitationally by light? Tolman, Ehrenfest, and Podolsky discovered that in the weak field limit two light beams moving in the same direction do not interact gravitationally, but two light beams moving in opposite directions do.

Zee then uses quantum field theory to show this, but I'm sure that Tolman, Ehrenfest, and Podolsky used only classical relativity to deduce the result.

Last edited:
George Jones: Thanks you very much! It's not often I get an affirmative on a theory here ;) Is there more info on exactly that in your book? I've considered buying that one myself.

Very interesting MeJennifer! Great to find that there exists understandable research on the subject! My mathematics (and physics) are only slightly above A-level-equivalent, so I didn't understand most of the math, but the conclusion was "readable". =)

Even in special relativity one can make some inferences about the directions of two photons. For instance a system of two photons moving in the same direction has no rest mass while a system of two photons moving in opposite directions has a rest mass.

MeJennifer said:
Even in special relativity one can make some inferences about the directions of two photons. For instance a system of two photons moving in the same direction has no rest mass while a system of two photons moving in opposite directions has a rest mass.

Is it because we could define a "center of mass" of the systems of two photons, and in the case of the photons moving in opposite directions this center of mass would be moving at v<c (what allows a rest mass), while in the case of the photons moving in the same direction the center of mass would moving at v=c, what doesn't allow a rest mass?

coelho said:
Is it because we could define a "center of mass" of the systems of two photons, and in the case of the photons moving in opposite directions this center of mass would be moving at v<c (what allows a rest mass)

By the same token, what does the velocity of a phase center say about the rest mass of a spherical wave?

(n.b. In antenna terms - "phase center" is where r=0 in [itex]e^{-jkr}[/itex])

Regards,

Bill

1. How does light bend?

Light bends due to the phenomenon of refraction, which occurs when light passes through a medium with a different refractive index. This causes the light ray to change direction, resulting in bending.

2. What causes light to bend?

As mentioned before, light bends due to refraction. This can be caused by a change in the density of the medium it is passing through, such as from air to water or from air to glass.

3. Is light always bent when passing through a medium?

Yes, light is always bent when passing through a medium with a different refractive index. However, the degree of bending depends on the angle of incidence and the refractive indices of the two mediums.

4. Can light bend in a vacuum?

No, light cannot bend in a vacuum as it is not passing through any medium. It travels in a straight line in a vacuum unless it is affected by a gravitational field.

5. How is light bending used in everyday life?

Light bending is used in various everyday applications, such as in lenses for glasses and cameras, prisms for creating rainbows, and fiber optic cables for telecommunication. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of our eyes, allowing us to see objects clearly.