1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does light move as a wave ?

1. Nov 30, 2015 #1
    Light has two theories, wave theory and the photon theory.

My one main doubt is that, do photons physically move as a wave. Or do photons travel in straight lines but just have the ability to bend here and there; even in the wave theory, does light move physically in a wave-like manner, or is it just the existence of oscillating electric field and magnetic field which change in a wave-like manner at a place telling us that it is the wave theory.

Could anyone explain how light moves according to the wave theory and the particle theory of light in brief.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2015 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

No, light only has one theory: light is made of photons. Photons share some behaviors with (classical) particles and some with waves, but there is no either/or conflict.

4. Nov 30, 2015 #3
    I did not refer to a conflict rather my main doubt was whether the photon theory says that light moves as a wave.

5. Nov 30, 2015 #4
    Like physically move as moves. Or is it just referring to the electric and magnetic fields inside.

6. Nov 30, 2015 #5

7. Nov 30, 2015 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Dec 2, 2015 #7
    I'm not a professional physicist but I know that the way light moves through a fiber-optic is pretty hairy. Light phases in and out. This might have something to do with the wave nature of light. I know it gives fiber-optic technicians a hard time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook