Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does LIGO discovery rule out (quasi-)linear theories?

1. Feb 13, 2016 #1
    As the discovery matches templates based on GR, and the regime is of very strong gravitational fields and very high speeds (relativistic speeds), and there is a 90% match between model and measured data, this does rule out linear or quasi linear alternative theories of gravity?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2016 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Are there any linear or quasi-linear alternative theories of gravity?

4. Feb 14, 2016 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

5. Feb 18, 2016 #4
    Thank you very much. Yes, the results seem to put restrictions to alternative theories, but do not go further than previously known from the theoretical data of pulsar orbit decay, if I understand correctly the data.

6. Feb 19, 2016 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Sure, I guess pulsar timing is still among the most precise tests of GR, but that may change, if gravitation-wave detectors become more accurate and collect more gravitational wave signals. It's just amazing, how much could be learned already from just one signal! Another point is that this tests GR under utmost gravitational fields, i.e., high gravitational fields of orbiting and finally merging supermassive black holes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook