Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does matter exist?

1. Feb 12, 2007 #1
    My knowledge about physics is rather limited, so I would appreciate if you could set this straight.

I just made an assumption that the concept of everything consists of smaller parts at different levels is a man made concept that derives from what feels natural in our day to day perception of things. What if everything is in fact movement in space and nothing else.

And then we know that if movement is present, space and time is the result of it for it to be able to happen. And that led me to think that if there is no movement in space happening both space and time sieze to exist.

So if: distance (space) = speed x time it would mean that if the entropi of the universe gets at its ultimate peak and all movement sieze to exist, both time and distance sieze to exist forcing everything into one point, sort of a big bang scenario?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2007 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

There have been hypotheses put forth questioning whether, if the universe had no mass, would space still exist?

4. Feb 12, 2007 #3
    Ive heard that there was an experiment of cooling down an atom with lasers until it dissapeared and then reapeared. Interesting.

5. Feb 12, 2007 #4
    Are you referring to Bose-Einstein Condensates?

6. Feb 12, 2007 #5
    According to the currently accepted models in mainstream science, matter, space, distance and time exist.

7. Feb 12, 2007 #6
    Dont really know since I cant really find any source to it. But what im thinking about will space still exist when the maximal level of entropi will be reached?

8. Feb 12, 2007 #7
    why would space not exist when max entropy is reached. It is just a measure of disorder in a system

9. Feb 12, 2007 #8
    Well, Is making an assumption that everything that moves generate heat, and slows down right?

10. Feb 12, 2007 #9
    But matter would still exist, and there would still be residual heat due to HUP

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?