Does maximum temperature exist?

In summary: So, what happens if you try to reach a temperature above the maximum?:: Ben ::If you try to reach a temperature above the maximum, you will reach a point where the particles have so much energy that they cease to be particles and become pure energy. The temperature would then begin to dissapate immediately at that temperature and any energy gained with instantaeously be lost through dissapation.
Human
I have been wondering about the temperature rules for some time.
Since the temperature has a zero point, (0 degrees Kelvin), I often wonder if the temperature has a maximum limit, i.e. "the Hagedorn temperature".

What do you think about it? Do you think the temperature has a maximum limit?
If so, how many degrees Kelvin do you think the limit is?

Science news on Phys.org
The zero point is when a particle has absolutely no energy... is that correct?

So in theory, a maximum would be when a particle had the most possible energy it could have.

I don't see why there shouldn't be a maximum - perhaps with enough energy a particle would cease to be a particle and become pure energy... which would then dissapate? Would that then mean that there would be a maximum, because the temperature would simply begin to dissapate immediately at that temperature and any energy gained with instantaeously be lost through dissapation?

:: Ben ::

(I know I have some crazy ideas, and most of them will probably never even make a shred of sense. But bare with me, I want to stay creative... even if much of my creativity is in the form of bad ideas! :P )

Last edited:
Actually after infinite temperature there are the negative ones.

My take on it would be that since temperature is a measure of average kinetic energy(KE = 1/2mv^2); and since increasing the temperature obviously increases the velocity of the particles you are heating, there will be a limit for the velocity at the speed of light, thereby showing there will be a limit for the temperature.

Good point...

To reach the speed of light, a particle of any mass needs infinite energy. Saying that a particle may not reach the speed of light therefore places an upper limit on the maximum kinectic energy a particle could have and thus an upper limit on the temperature a particle may be be at. Effectively you are saying that a particle may not have infinite energy... which establishes that there must be a maximum temperature.

Is my logic correct?

The trouble is that the mass can increase infinitely as the velocity of any particle approaches C. This would allow for an infinite increase in energy.

Ivan Seeking said:
The trouble is that the mass can increase infinitely as the velocity of any particle approaches C. This would allow for an infinite increase in energy.

I see what you mean, but surely even if the mass increases infinitely, infinite energy will mean that the particle will travel at the speed of light, whatever the mass... and as this isn't possible, there must be a limit?

The shortest wavelength possible is governed by the Planck length. Try plugging that into the temperature equivalent formula and see what you get [it's pretty hot].

...so do you think that the temperature equivalent of the energy of those waves also acts as the maximum temperature for particles? Are you thinking that wave/particle duality means that all matter has a temperature maximum equal to that of a wave? Or do particles have a different maximum to that of waves? What do you think?

The Binary Monster said:
...so do you think that the temperature equivalent of the energy of those waves also acts as the maximum temperature for particles?
Yes. Heat is a form of electromagnetic radiation.

But isn't it also a form of kinetic energy? Or have I completely misunderstood that, somewhere?

The maximum temperature I can concieve is whatever temperature the Universe was at at age Plank time : about 10E-43 seconds old. It has cooled ever since. To reach that again, you would need a Big Crunch.

The Binary Monster said:
But isn't it also a form of kinetic energy? Or have I completely misunderstood that, somewhere?
Kinetic energy is what excites the atoms causing them to emit radiation [i.e., heat].

My intuition leads me to the following:

At a certain point the kinetic energy of a collection of particles ceases to be something that can be thought of as temperature and transitions to simply being the kinetic energy of the particles. Just as it would be improper to think of the motion of galaxies moving away from us as increasing the temperature of the universe, it is improper to think of a plasma expanding in all directions as having a temperature based on the relative velocity of the particles.

IF the above is true, then the limiting factor is not how much energy you can pack into a small mass of plasma, but rather, how are you going to keep that plasma from spreading in all directions?

Chronos said:
The shortest wavelength possible is governed by the Planck length. Try plugging that into the temperature equivalent formula and see what you get [it's pretty hot].

This demand is still completely theoretical, isn't it?

Ivan Seeking said:
This demand is still completely theoretical, isn't it?
Yes.

So, what happens if you add energy to a small volume (with particles)? If the energy is EM, you get furious pair production, and the particles exit your small region tout de suite, and your small region cools down. :cry: Thus you will get an equilibrium temperature, and there will be a max (no matter how much more EM energy you pump into your test region, it won't get any hotter).

The only hotter temp you can get is, as Chronos said, the first Planck second of the universe.

Gonzolo said:
The maximum temperature I can concieve is whatever temperature the Universe was at at age Plank time : about 10E-43 seconds old. It has cooled ever since. To reach that again, you would need a Big Crunch.

Very good Gonzolo. I knew someone would say it.

Edit: Sorry Chronos, They're right. You did say it first.

Last edited:
Chronos said:

that gives the Planck temperature (first published by Planck in 1899)
of about 1.4 x 1032 kelvin.

Chronos answered the threadstarter's question

then gonzolo says:
"The maximum temperature I can concieve is whatever temperature the Universe was at at age Plank time : about 10E-43 seconds old. It has cooled ever since. To reach that again, you would need a Big Crunch."

yes that is the same temperature that Chronos is talking 'bout.

then Nereid confirmed Chronos reply and gave a physical argument for temp maxing out, concluding that:
"The only hotter temp you can get is, as Chronos said, the first Planck second of the universe."

finally Metallicbeing says Ah at last someone, gonzolo, has answered the question.

-----------------
if anything is missing it is a link to the National Institute website (NIST)
where they actually give this temperature, expressed in kelvin, and where they give a formula for it in terms of fundamental constants G, hbar, c, k
which agrees with what Chronos said (the temp corresp to Planck wavelength light)

so let me get the link to NIST
http://physics.nist.gov/cgi-bin/cuu/Value?plktmp|search_for=universal_in!

if you click on the symbol TP for Planck temp
you will get the formula
(thats how the NIST constants site generally works)
and otherwise they just give you the most accurately known value for it.

here's the main URL
http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Constants/

Last edited:
Thanks all, I enjoyed the exchange as it affirms the things I have been saying all along.:smile:

Surely all the ideas here based on the Planck length and/or Planck time are heavily theoretical?

And Chronos, thanks for correcting me and helping me understand. I know it may seem basic to you but I'm only just getting into this... :cry: :wink:

The Binary Monster said:
Surely all the ideas here based on the Planck length and/or Planck time are heavily theoretical?

I tried to think how to answer. Probably there's an easy obvious answer, like Yes, but that didnt seem quite right.

personally I don't think I would base the argument on Planck time and Planck length----the Planck temperature is pretty basic

the Planck speed is c, the speed of light
the other quantities can also be pretty basic in their own categories.
the Planck speed c is a basic speed
the Planck temperature TP is a basic temp

----------
I guess it is like this, Monster, when you first go to college you take a Freshman physics course and in that course you meet G, c, hbar, and k.

k is the Boltzmann constant, as in PV = nkT, or any of the other kT formulas.

and the professor's strategy will be to make you do problem after problem using these constants to get the answer. over and over.
use G, use c, use hbar, use k, use G, use c, use ...etc.

after a while it dawns on you, the Freshman, that these are fundamental proportions built into the fabric of nature. they are the keys that unlock the doors. they are the ratios in the laws of nature.

much much later, someone you meet casually on a skiing trip says hey
did you know that if you combine G, c, hbar, and k in the only way that you can which makes a temperature then you get a temperature called Planck temperature which is sort of the hottest things can get?

and you say, cool that reminds me of the speed of light which is sort of the fastest things can get.

you say this is "heavily" theoretical?
I don't know as I would say quite that, it is light and deep at the same time.
and tantalizingly ambiguous too. but the feel is not exactly heavy

Thanks for the explanation/correction... As of yet I haven't even become a freshman yet - not till next year. So you see I wouldn't have reached that yet - only through a little of my own reading.

But still, I enjoyed the post. It's interesting, and I guess it's taught me a little more about Planck quantities. :)

Surely the theoretical maximum temp. is the speed of light - 0.1 reccuring?

phenylalanine said:
Surely the theoretical maximum temp. is the speed of light - 0.1 reccuring?
Why?

And (belated) Welcome to Physics Forums phenylalanine!

What I meant was that the maximum temp. that could be acheived is when the mean velocity of the particles is c - 0.1 as that is as fast as the particles could move without actually acheiving c.

phenylalanine said:
What I meant was that the maximum temp. that could be acheived is when the mean velocity of the particles is c - 0.1 as that is as fast as the particles could move without actually acheiving c.
I guess I'm still a bit puzzled by the '- 0.1' ... do you mean ~30,000 km/sec?

Let's consider what a really, really hot 'gas' would be like; one comprised of ... well, what? Certainly won't be atoms, because they would have sufficient relative KE to ionise each other in almost every collision. What about protons and electrons then (i.e. ionised hydrogen)? Look at just the protons; if they have speeds - relative to each other - close to c, then every collision will be like what happens in a modern particle collider ... production of lots and lots of new particles (and gammas). In other words, collisions will be highly inelastic, and any resulting protons will have considerably less relative speed than near c (not to mention, how do you heat the gas up so hot to begin with :tongue2:

How would you contain such a hot proton-electron plasma? Certainly not with solid walls! Probably not with cleverly designed electrical and magnetic fields. And any gravitational confinement will very quickly result in cooling (you can't keep the gammas and neutrinos - among other collision products - in a gravity well).

Except of course if you have enough mass, in a sufficiently small volume ... then all the energy of the collision products won't escape, but will go into expanding spacetime itself ... hmm, remind you of the Big Bang?

Very subtle, Nereid.

phenylalanine said:

I think you mean that if you take the limit at v -> c you get the maximun kinetic energy of the particle and therefore the maximum temperature.

The maximum temperature in Kelivin is infinity. Above infinity the Kelvin-temperatures become NEGATIVE !

These negative temperatures, really have to be seen as an extension of the positive infinity temperature. They are no science fiction and already proven many times in experiments.

Suppose we have a system of N dipoles with spin 1/2 , placed into some extern magnetic field. The energy of this isolated system can be calculated via 1/T = (dS/dE) with S the entropy. The energy will be E = -NmBtanh(mB/kT) , where B is the magnetic field and m is the dipole-moment.

A necessary condition is that the system needs to be in an intern state of thermodynamic equilibrium for temperature to have a significance.

Secondly : there has to be a maximum allowed value for the energy of the system. This is the case of N dipoles where the max energy is E=NmB.

Now, an infinite amount of energy can make this energy maximal. More specifically this energy is maximal when the entropy is maximal or when the chaos in the system is maximal. Suppose that we have 3 dipoles and 3 possible spinvalues. The entropy is maximal when the 3 dipoles are spread out over the 3 levels, so that dipole 1 is on the bottom spin level, dipole 2 in the middle level, and dipole 3 on the top-level.

A further increase in energy makes the 3 dipoles move towards the top spin-levels. For example : 2 dipoles at the top level and one in the middle, or all three dipoles at the top level. In this situation, the entropy decreases (less chaos) and the temperature gets negative.

Practically , in order to acquire such a system : it is fundamental that the spin-system is ISOLATED, so it may not couple to "temperature"-degrees of freedom. The reasom for this is that you need to have a maximum value for the system at finite temperature. if there is such a coupling then all the energy from the heating will be absorbed by the lattice-atoms or so that will acquire an increased kinetic energy.

One has to make sure that the spin-lattice-relaxation-time is of order 1 to 10 minutes, so that the spin system seems isolated from the surrounding lattice. An example is Lithium in a LiF-lattice

regards
marlon

marlon said:
The maximum temperature in Kelivin is infinity. Above infinity the Kelvin-temperatures become NEGATIVE !

These negative temperatures, really have to be seen as an extension of the positive infinity temperature. They are no science fiction and already proven many times in experiments.

regards
marlon

Can you give an example of an experiment where a temperature above infinity has been achieved !? :bugeye:

Erienion said:
Can you give an example of an experiment where a temperature above infinity has been achieved !? :bugeye:

He did: a system of a two-state paramagnet placed in an external magnetic field.

The confusion arises because tempature is often associated with the (average) kinetic energy of the molecules/atoms. But that's not always necessarily true. In the example given, the energy of the system is due to the magnetic field which forces the dipoles into one of two quantized energy states (aligned with the magnetic field, or aligned opposite to the field).

Because the maximum energy of the system is limited (which is in theory, I think, not the case with a gas) the maximum entropy of the system doesn't correspond with the maximum energy. The maximum energy of this particular system is when all the dipoles are aligned opposite to the magnetic field. The maximum entropy however is the point where the distribution is 50/50 (50% of the dipoles are alignede opposite, 50% not).

What this means, is that when the entropy is at max and you add a little energy to the system, the entropy will decrease, i.e. [itex]\frac{dS}{dE}[/itex] is smaller than zero. But since tempature is defined by [itex]\frac{1}{T}=\frac{dS}{dE}[/itex], this will mean the tempature will be negative.

Remember that you can't "add tempature" to a system. You can only add or substract energy. And doing so will usually change the tempature. But because of the way tempature is defined, it's possible to get a system with an infinite or negative tempature.

Thanks xepma, i think i understand what was meant a bit better now. :)

Temperature is the measure of the kinetic energy of the particles, and relativistic KE is...
[tex] KE = m_0c^2(\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}-1) [/tex]
as v -> c, KE -> infinity

Erienion said:
Thanks xepma, i think i understand what was meant a bit better now. :)
Was my first post :eek:

ArmoSkater87 said:
Temperature is the measure of the kinetic energy of the particles, and relativistic KE is...
[tex] KE = m_0c^2(\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}-1) [/tex]
as v -> c, KE -> infinity

Again, that is not always the case.

First post. Generally I'm a complete doofus at math and physics (mostly because of teachers and the educational path I chose), but it still interests me, and I've asked several people about theoretical maximum temperature, but nobody has given me a good answer, seems there are answers to be found here.

Try to bear with me, I haven't looked at a physics book since the late nineties.

Remember that you can't "add tempature" to a system. You can only add or substract energy. And doing so will usually change the tempature. But because of the way tempature is defined, it's possible to get a system with an infinite or negative tempature.

Right, but if we define maximum temperature as something absolute (that does not involve average kinetic energy of particles - but more in terms of «how much kinetic energy can this matter contain»), it would make it possible to concieve a theoretical maximum value?

Last edited: