Does MWI suggest a mind-body duality?

• I
  • Thread starter durant35
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mwi
In summary: It can't - and obviously so. Any argument to the contrary is philosophical mumbo jumbo.ThanksBillIt is precisely the fact that default QM is somewhere in the middle that makes many people unsatisfied with it. They just want QM to choose one side or the other: Is it about the subjective or about the objective? As a consequence, we have many non-default views of QM which are more specific about that. But to keep balance, the default QM remains in the middle and neutral.I completely agree. Default QM is a great way to describe the results of measurements, but it's not a theory about the mind or the brain.
durant35
Hi guys,

I was listing some older threads regarding mwi and I found an interesting number of posts by a member named vanesch. So let me first say that I don't want to start a philosophical discussion because this is clearly a physics forum, but he analyzed the 'mind body problem' in a mathematical way. Here is the thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/mwi-alice-bob-and-alfred.114207/

My question is, does mwi, or quantum physics itself imply mind body dualism, or a distinction between our subjective experiences and the physical body?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
durant35 said:
My question is, does mwi, or quantum physics itself imply mind body dualism, or a distinction between our subjective experiences and the physical body?
Quantum physics and MWI do not imply it, but some interpretations of quantum physics or sub-interpretations of MWI do suggest it.

Likes bhobba
durant35 said:

No.

QM is a theory about observation that occur in a common-sense objective classical world independent of us.

Some, nowadays fringe, interpretations have conciousness involved.

Thanks
Bill

Thanks for the responses Demystifier and Bill. This guy in his posts supposedly (and mathematically, using the Born rule) somehow derived that in mwi our subjective experience is neccessarily dualistic, he of course doesn't go so far to say that consciousness causes collapse or some other bs like that, but I'm also highly sceptical about this what he wrote, so maybe if you have the time and the will you can check the thread and elaborate what has been done in his example.

Regards

Its simply a philosophical view he takes - don't worry about it unless you are into philosophy. And if you are by forum rules this is not the place to discuss it.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Its simply a philosophical view he takes - don't worry about it unless you are into philosophy. And if you are by forum rules this is not the place to discuss it.

Thanks
Bill
I know this is not the place to talk about it, that's why it sounded weird that something about the minds can be derived from QM. I just wanted to ensure that default Qm and mwi don't say nothing about the mind body problem but instead focus on what you said, the objective reality.

durant35 said:
I just wanted to ensure that default Qm and mwi don't say nothing about the mind body problem but instead focus on what you said, the objective reality.
Actually, default QM is somewhere in between. It talks about results of measurements, which, on the scale of subjectivity, is somewhere between "mind body problem" and "objective reality". Both "mind body problem" and "objective reality" are often considered too philosophical for default QM.

It is precisely the fact that default QM is somewhere in the middle that makes many people unsatisfied with it. They just want QM to choose one side or the other: Is it about the subjective or about the objective? As a consequence, we have many non-default views of QM which are more specific about that. But to keep balance, the default QM remains in the middle and neutral.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba
durant35 said:
I know this is not the place to talk about it, that's why it sounded weird that something about the minds can be derived from QM.

It can't - and obviously so. Any argument to the contrary is philosophical mumbo jumbo.

Thanks
Bill

Demystifier said:
But to keep balance, the default QM remains in the middle and neutral.

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Thanks
Bill

Likes Demystifier
Demystifier said:
Actually, default QM is somewhere in between. It talks about results of measurements, which, on the scale of subjectivity, is somewhere between "mind body problem" and "objective reality". Both "mind body problem" and "objective reality" are often considered too philosophical for default QM.
So you say that a silicon pixel detector and/or the electronic data aquisition system connected to it has a mind and that there is even a "mind-body problem" for such an apparatus? Well, it's hard to prove or disprove whether a computer has a mind or consciousness or not. It's even complicated for living organisms. Has an amoeba a mind, or some sponge, your pet, a monkey, an ape or only humans? The good "news" is: That's completely irrelevant for physics and doing measurements.

It is precisely the fact that default QM is somewhere in the middle that makes many people unsatisfied with it. They just want QM to choose one side or the other: Is it about the subjective or about the objective? As a consequence, we have many non-default views of QM which are more specific about that. But to keep balance, the default QM remains in the middle and neutral.
QM is a description of (certain aspects) of nature as any scientific theory or model. It describes objective reproducible observations correctly, as far as we know today. That's it. I think this thread is way beyond the tolerable limits of a scientific (!) discussion.

vanhees71 said:
So you say that a silicon pixel detector and/or the electronic data aquisition system connected to it has a mind and that there is even a "mind-body problem" for such an apparatus? Well, it's hard to prove or disprove whether a computer has a mind or consciousness or not. It's even complicated for living organisms. Has an amoeba a mind, or some sponge, your pet, a monkey, an ape or only humans? The good "news" is: That's completely irrelevant for physics and doing measurements.

So physicists don't need minds?

Likes Demystifier
vanhees71 said:
So you say that a silicon pixel detector and/or the electronic data aquisition system connected to it has a mind and that there is even a "mind-body problem" for such an apparatus?
That, of course, is not what I am saying. But I am saying the following:
- If it is not obvious whether a single electron has a position before measurement, then it may not be obvious whether a single electron has any property at all before measurement.
- But then it may also not be obvious whether the atom has any property at all before measurement.
- But then it may also not be obvious whether any object made of atoms has proprties before measurement.
- But then it may also not be obvious whether silicon pixel detector has properties before measurement of the detector.
- But then it may also not be obvious whether silicon pixel detector exists without observation by a conscious being.

And finally, for anyone who chooses that some (but not all) of those are obvious, it may not be obvious to specify where exactly the cut between obvious and not obvious is.

Clearly, black is not white. But with a 50 shades of gray, where exactly the cut between black and white is?

Likes naima
Of course, it's nonsense to claim that an electron doesn't have any property if it's not measured. If you know that there is somewhere and electron that's the property that it is an electron. I don't understand the point of the entire discussion to be honest. I think, it's high time to close the thread.

vanhees71 said:
Of course, it's nonsense to claim that an electron doesn't have any property if it's not measured. If you know that there is somewhere and electron that's the property that it is an electron. I don't understand the point of the entire discussion to be honest. I think, it's high time to close the thread.

What property does it have when it is not measured?

Likes Demystifier
Atyy, you are too pessimistic.
We know that the double of its spin is an integer.

naima said:
Not from what I understand, 4 half spins = 2 times the square root of 2 for maximally entangled inequality...

jerromyjon said:
2 times the square root of 2 for maximally entangled inequality...
No, that is not right either, but isn't is greater than or less than 2?

naima said:
Atyy, you are too pessimistic.

I guess I should have asked: does it have any dynamical properties?

It seems that the "no property" will win, but what do you think of these sentences:
Particles can be prepared in the same state.
Information is physical (it from bit)
It cannot travel ftl.
A qbit cannot be cloned nor erased.
It flows in the environment.
there is no interference if you have which path information?

Last edited:
naima said:
It seems that the "no property" will win
:cry::biggrin:

1. Does MWI imply the existence of multiple universes?

Yes, the Many-Worlds Interpretation (MWI) of quantum mechanics suggests that there are an infinite number of parallel universes that exist alongside our own. These universes are created through the branching of reality every time a quantum measurement is made.

2. Does MWI imply that consciousness exists in multiple universes?

According to MWI, consciousness is simply a product of the physical processes that occur in the brain. Therefore, consciousness is not considered to exist in multiple universes. However, since MWI implies that all possible outcomes of a quantum measurement exist in different universes, one could argue that there is a version of the conscious self in each of these universes.

3. Does MWI imply that there is no such thing as objective reality?

MWI does not necessarily reject the concept of objective reality. It suggests that reality is constantly branching and evolving, with each possible outcome existing in a separate universe. However, the concept of a single, objective reality is still relevant and useful for practical purposes in our own universe.

4. Does MWI support the idea of free will?

MWI does not necessarily support or reject the idea of free will. It suggests that every possible outcome of a quantum measurement exists in a different universe, but it does not provide an explanation for how or why a particular outcome occurs. Therefore, the question of free will is still open to interpretation.

5. Does MWI imply dualism, the idea that the mind and body are separate entities?

No, MWI does not support dualism. It suggests that consciousness is a result of physical processes in the brain, and that these processes exist in the same universe as the physical body. Therefore, according to MWI, the mind and body are not separate entities but are intertwined and connected in the same universe.