Is MWI the Only Solution for Saving the Principle of Relativity?

In summary, the thread cited by the newbie does not suggest that MWI entails solipsism, and there are other interpretations of quantum mechanics which do not have a special role for consciousness.
jonathan17
Hi guys,

I am new to physics forums and am an undergrad who is really interested in the philosophical implications of quantum physics. I know this isn’t a philosophy forum but upon skimming older threads regarding MWI I have come across an interesting number of posts by a few members named vanesch and ttn. Here is the post I was just looking at:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-an-element-of-reality.62205/page-10#post-714587

They seemed to be suggesting that the only way the principle of relativity can be saved is with MWI - which is also solipsistic (i.e. everyone only experiences their own world where none of their friends are conscious). Does MWI really entail a sort of solipsism (like they suggest)? And is this the only way the principle of relativity can be saved? Kind of a crazy idea!

Physics news on Phys.org
jonathan17 said:
They seemed to be suggesting that the only way the principle of relativity can be saved is with MWI
That is not true.
jonathan17 said:
which is also solipsistic (i.e. everyone only experiences their own world where none of their friends are conscious)
That is not true either, and I have no idea why you would think so.

None of the interpretations of quantum mechanics (except many minds, but that is really exotic) have a special role for consciousness in any way.

jonathan17 said:
MWI - which is also solipsistic (i.e. everyone only experiences their own world where none of their friends are conscious).
So far as I know, MWI doesn't say anything about consciousness. Base quantum mechanics is unable to say anything about consciousness, as it is a theory about observables, and consciousness is not observable. MWI, being only an interpretation (ie speculative hypothesis / philosophy) is not subject to that restriction, so it is 'allowed to' refer to consciousness - but I have never heard it suggested that it does and, not having read Everett (its inventor) in the original, I have not checked.

Based on my understanding of it, MWI doesn't say anything about consciousness. It does have implications for what we mean when we say 'I' or 'you', but I don't see that as implying anything about solipsism.

mfb said:
That is not true either, and I have no idea why you would think so.
I got the impression that jonathan himself doesn't think that. Rather, he formed the impression that the posters he was reading thought that, and he wondered why they did, and whether others agreed with them. You and I don't, for two to start.

MWI is not solipsistic. But some forms of orthodox interpretation, namely those which say that physical variables don't exist until they are observed, are very close to solipsism. The only thing which saves them from explicit solipsism is their vagueness.

Likes WWGD
Mentor note: we do not do philosophy even though we have mentor participation. The thread cited is from 2005 when we tried to allow philosophic discussions.

PF rules clearly state: no philosophic discussions. Thread locked. If another mentor so chooses we may take another course of action.

1. What is MWI and how does it relate to solipsism?

MWI stands for Many-Worlds Interpretation and it is a theory in quantum mechanics that suggests the existence of multiple parallel universes. The connection to solipsism comes from the idea that if MWI is true, then all possible outcomes of a situation exist in different universes, making the observer the only real entity in their own universe, and therefore implying solipsism.

2. Can MWI be proven or disproven?

MWI is a theoretical interpretation of quantum mechanics and there is currently no way to prove or disprove it. It is still a topic of debate among scientists and philosophers.

3. Is solipsism a widely accepted belief among scientists?

No, solipsism is not a widely accepted belief among scientists. It is considered a philosophical concept rather than a scientific theory.

4. How does MWI differ from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

MWI differs from other interpretations of quantum mechanics, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, in the way it explains the collapse of the wave function. While the Copenhagen interpretation states that the wave function collapses into a single outcome, MWI suggests that all possible outcomes actually occur in different universes.

5. Are there any experiments that can test the validity of MWI?

Currently, there are no experiments that can directly test the validity of MWI. However, some scientists argue that certain quantum phenomena, such as the double-slit experiment, provide evidence that supports the idea of multiple parallel universes, as predicted by MWI.