Can I Use WordPress with My ISP? Understanding PHP and MySQL Support

In summary, WordPress can be used with any Internet Service Provider (ISP) as long as they support PHP and MySQL, which are the programming languages used by WordPress. This means that as long as your ISP has the necessary requirements, you can install and use WordPress on your website. However, it is important to check with your ISP beforehand to ensure that they support these technologies and to avoid any compatibility issues.
TSN79
I would like to start blogging using WordPress. I've heard that my ISP needs to support PHP and MySQL in order for this to work? I have no idea what either is but I have seen a few examples of small test-files (info.php) I can upload to my site and attemp to view them in order to find out if my ISP supports it. Always when I try this my browser only shows the content of the file itself as code, nothing else. What does that mean?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Nothing. Could be you have to configure your account so that the server knows it has to work with php files. Best place to ask is your ISP support.

Why not just use Blogger.com?

You could set up a local http server.
Code:
[PLAIN]http://www.apache.org/
[/PLAIN] and php+mysql. If you're on windows it'll be a tad bit easier than on *nix, if you're using linux then it's easy too, just look up how setup a lamp server. Your website should be viewable by your IP (external) address. Just make sure the proper ports are forewarded for the web server. Hope that helps to a degree, if you need me to elaborate on something feel free to ask ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
nickdk said:
You could set up a local http server.

I did this a few years ago with apache/php/perl/mysql on a windows xp system. However, I discovered that my ISP bocked port 80 (for security reasons). I had to use an alternate port (8080) and a free DNS (such as DynDNS). I think some router/modems will even automatically update the DNS if your IP number changes. This method works good if you have a high speed connection, don't mind leaving your computer on 24/7, and you do not anticipate a lot of traffic. Otherwise, it's probably best to pay for a hosting service.

*You should check your ISPs terms of service. Some limit or prohibit setting up home servers on their network.

1. What is an ISP and why do I need it to support PHP?

An ISP, or Internet Service Provider, is a company that provides you with access to the internet. PHP is a programming language used to create dynamic web pages, so if your ISP does not support PHP, your website will not function properly.

2. How do I know if my ISP supports PHP?

You can check with your ISP directly or look for information on their website about the programming languages and features they support. You can also try uploading a simple PHP file to your website and see if it runs successfully.

3. Can I switch ISPs if mine does not support PHP?

Yes, you can switch to a different ISP that supports PHP. However, make sure to read the terms and conditions of your current contract before making any changes.

4. Are there any alternatives to using PHP if my ISP does not support it?

Yes, there are other programming languages such as Python, Java, and Ruby that can also be used to create dynamic web pages. However, you would need to make sure your ISP supports these languages as well.

5. Can I still use PHP if my ISP only supports older versions?

Yes, you can still use PHP but you may not have access to the latest features and updates. It is recommended to use the latest version of PHP for security and compatibility reasons. You may consider switching to a different ISP if you need to use the latest version of PHP.