Does my paragraph make any sense at all?

• Thread starter !Live_4Ever!
  • Start date
In summary, the process of light refraction is caused by the absorption and reemission of electromagnetic waves by particles of matter, resulting in a decrease in the overall speed of the wave. This phenomenon is explained by Snell-Descartes law, which involves complex mathematical calculations. However, the fundamental cause of light warping or bending during refraction can be understood at the subatomic level.
!Live_4Ever!
Its about Light Refraction does it make any sense at all? if not (which I am sure), how can I fix it? :biggrin:

Why do electromagnetic waves warp when it goes through the process of refraction? The reason lies in the subatomic level of science. First of all, an electromagnetic wave is produced by a vibrating electric charge. As it traverses through a vacuum of space, it travels in a velocity of 2.99792458 x 108 m/s, or can be expressed as “c”. When the wave collides with a particle of matter, the wave is absorbed and the electrons within the atoms undergo a vibrating motion. If the frequency of the electromagnetic wave is not identical to the frequency of the vibrating electron, the energy is reemitted in a form prior to absorption, as electromagnetic wave.
The new wave will have identical frequency as the previous wave and it will also travel through the trans-atomic space until it confronts another atom. If the frequencies are different, the electrons will go through a vibrating motion once again. This cycling process continues until the electromagnetic wave is transported through the medium.
This process is the fundamental cause of slowing down the velocity of an electromagnetic wave. Every photon in the electromagnetic wave travels the trans-atomic space at c, but the process of absorption slows it down. Therefore, the overall speed of an electromagnetic wave traversing any substance will have less speed as it would travel in a vacuum.

Its about Light Refraction does it make any sense at all? if not (which I am sure), how can I fix it?

Thakns :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes,it does,it's the microscopical explanation of the fact that under refraction,due to absorption and reemission,the speed of light is in fact diminished as an overall effect,but in the interatomic space,it still travels at "c".

Daniel.

The paragraph certainly makes sense, but I think you might want to rewrite your opening statement (question, actually). You've described why an EM wave has a speed < c in a meterial medium, but nothing about why the wave "warps". In fact, I wouldn't use the word "warp" if what I mean is 'deviate' or 'bend'.

Since the explanation of the deflection is a little harder (best done with some math), perhaps you should change your opening question to : "Why do EM waves slow down in a material medium, resulting in the phenomenon known as refraction ?"

Hey man, thanks! :biggrin: I am glad that it makes sense

P.S When u said something about math, did you mean by snell's law? sin Theta1 / sin Theta2 = n?

!Live_4Ever! said:
Hey man, thanks! :biggrin: I am glad that it makes sense

P.S When u said something about math, did you mean by snell's law? sin Theta1 / sin Theta2 = n?

He meant the math behind Snell-Descartes law.The wave theory of light and its interactions with matter is not that simple and math could become very complicated.

Daniel.

sigh, i only finished up to Triganomitry and I am up here in Canada so the schools up here are a year behind the US, I am a year behind on Asia's standards and I am a year ahead of Canada's, I guess that won't help much.. :tongue:

1. What is the purpose of the paragraph?

The purpose of a paragraph is to convey a single main idea or point to the reader. It should be clear and concise, and support the overall message or argument of the writing.

2. How can I ensure that my paragraph makes sense?

To ensure that your paragraph makes sense, it is important to check for coherence and cohesion. This means that the sentences should flow logically and be connected to each other in a meaningful way. It is also helpful to read your paragraph aloud or have someone else read it to check for clarity and understanding.

3. Is it important to have a topic sentence in a paragraph?

Yes, a topic sentence is essential in a paragraph as it introduces the main idea or point that the paragraph will discuss. It helps to guide the reader and provide a clear focus for the paragraph.

4. How many sentences should be in a paragraph?

There is no set rule for the number of sentences in a paragraph, but a good guideline is to have at least three to five sentences. This allows for enough information to be conveyed without overwhelming the reader with too much information in one paragraph.

5. What should I do if my paragraph does not make sense?

If your paragraph does not make sense, it is helpful to revise and edit it. This can involve rearranging sentences, adding or removing information, or even rewriting the entire paragraph. It is also beneficial to have someone else read your paragraph and provide feedback.