1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does my proof work?

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    Does my "proof" work?

n\in \mathbb{N}
    \).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2
    Re: Does my "proof" work?

not diverging may not be equivalent to converging. it may be merely bounded but oscillating. so i would contradict boundedness rather convergence. maybe by showing that the difference between the nth and the n+k is larger than any bound.

4. Sep 21, 2008 #3

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But such a sequence is certainly diverging / not converging.

About the proof presented in the OP: isn't your N_2 redundant? After all, n+1 > n >= N_1. Other than this minor quibble, your proof is fine.

5. Sep 21, 2008 #4

I thought something was wrong with my proof. I was wondering whether N_2 was redundant. I can repeat the definition using N_1 again, or N.

I was wondering about the contradiction though. Does it really contradict? I proved the opposite based off the assumption, therefore I can assume the original is correct?

6. Sep 21, 2008 #5

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You showed that for any convergent sequence (a_n), the quantity |a_{n+1} - a_n| can be made arbitrarily small (by choosing sufficiently large n). This means that a sequence for which this cannot happen is divergent.

7. Sep 21, 2008 #6

ahh, thank you

8. Sep 21, 2008 #7

yeah my first guess is usually wrong. you would think that divergence is always unbounded.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?